Volunteers on the Technical Crew at the Roanoke Pinball Museum at Center in the Square help clean, maintain, and repair pinball machines.
Volunteers wipe down the sides of machines and clean the playfield (where the ball rolls) and the backglass (where the score shows up).
Volunteers can be any age from 11-88. No experience necessary. We can train anyone.
You must feel comfortable opening a pinball machine and safely removing and storing the playfield glass.
- replace pinballs that look pitted or rusted (once every 2 years)
- replace rubber rings using rubber ring kits
- replace light bulbs that are out
- wipe down the playfield with glass cleaner to remove dust and dirt
This job also entails cleaning and wiping down new machines that are donated to get them cosmetically ready for the museum.
Also, we occasionally need someone to help move a machine from a nearby building into the museum paired with another person using the pinball dolly.
No experience necessary. We can train anyone how to safely take a machine apart though volunteers should be age 15 and up because pinball machine maintenance sometime involves handling plate glass.
These volunteers troubleshoot, diagnose, and repair common problems with the pinball machines such as:
- game will not power on,
- game will not launch the ball,
- game has a feature broken,
- flippers do not work or are misaligned, or
- game scores points without ball moving (stuck switches).
These volunteers may also work larger events where 50 or more people are in the museum to reset machines or remove stuck balls.
These volunteers should be age 16 and up. No pinball machine experience is necessary, but this position requires an electronics background such as experience in computer repair or electronics with skills in repairing electronics or troubleshooting & fixing circuit boards as well as those who know how to solder and read a schematic. Must feel safe working with electricity, but no license is required. All tools are provided.
To get started, please complete our short online volunteer application at http://ow.ly/WPR8L or email email@example.com.
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training
- Science Museum Maker Lab Attendant
- Center in the Square Attendance...
- Mandated Volunteer or Community...
- One-time Special Events &...
- Science Museum Living River &...
- Center in the Square Volunteers...
- Information Desk Volunteer
- Science Museum Butterfly Garden...
- Pinball Museum Technical Crew
- Group Volunteer Opportunities:...