Empowered Women International (EWI) seeks a Program & Outreach Intern to work closely with the Maryland Program Manager and program team to effectively manage and ensure the success of EWI's programs, initiatives and partnerships at its Rockville site in Montgomery County. The position requires administrative work as well as community organizing. This is a hands-on opportunity for someone who is a self-starter, willing to learn fast, eager to give back and able to commit and get things done. This is an unpaid internship.
1) Provide ongoing administrative support in the management of the EWI's Entrepreneur Pathways for Women programs, including applicant intake management; scheduling and conducting interviews with new clients; follow through and overseeing the intake process; and tracking client data.
2) Coordinate EWI trainers, mentors, coaches and guest speakers for program classes.
3) Research partnerships and opportunities in Montgomery County to raise visibility and invite engagement; attend, network and speak on behalf of EWI at various community events.
4) Expand outreach efforts to recruit and sustain an on-going enrollment of client applicants to EWI's programs, including partnership development; plan and organize various EWI outreach, networking, marketplace and programmatic events.
5) Support the operational and functional efficiency the Rockville office
6) Assist in marketing various programs and initiatives, communications and social media.
All internship positions are expected to handle general responsibilities including social media (writing, composing and posting content), office/admin (phone, mail, printing marketing materials, ordering supplies, organizing office space, tech troubleshooting, online research) and support at events (set up, outreach, assistance).
- Bilingual or conversational Spanish strongly preferred
- Must have a personal computer and be willing to use it for the work assigned
- Experience in reaching out and connecting with multicultural immigrant women
- Strong prior experience in event planning, community outreach and client relations preferred
- Highly organized and attention to detail a must
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Understanding of and dedication to EWI's vision and mission
- Creative, enthusiastic, positive and energetic outlook
- Ability to learn, adapt quickly, work in a fast paced environment, manage time and balance multiple projects
- Ability to take initiative and work both independently and as a team
- Professional attitude and ability to represent EWI in meetings and presentations
- Proficiency in computer skills including database, spreadsheet, Internet, social media, website, and office applications
- Ability to deal with information in a confidential manner and respond with sensitivity to the opinions of others
- May perform other job duties as directed by supervisor
- High sense of responsibility, problem solving skills, results oriented, and resourceful
A dynamic women's entrepreneurial development organization, Empowered Women International creates social empowerment and economic opportunity for immigrant, refugee and American-born women who face challenging economic and personal circumstances in the greater Washington, DC metropolitan area. We offer a holistic model of empowerment through entrepreneurship and workforce training, mentoring, access to markets and capital, and highly individualized support services that remove women from unemployment and isolation, restore their lives and livelihoods and help them reach their fullest potential.
How you benefit
Creativity, innovation, entrepreneurial drive, integrity, respect for all and leadership skills are qualities we value highly at EWI. We work closely with you and empower you to use your own creative capital to excel in your work. We help you discover your talents, strengths and abilities that become the driving force in your project and for future employment and career development. This is the perfect position self-starter who is interested in learning about nonprofit management, program delivery, women's empowerment, micro-enterprise development and economic opportunity.
Interns take on a lot of responsibility, conduct research, work in small creative teams, take initiative and solve problems, and complete their internship with a significant sense of learning, service and accomplishment.
This position also provides:
- Opportunity for hands-on experience inevent planning, community outreach, and client engagement
- Inside experience with a dynamic and fast-growing organization working on micro-enterprise development for women
- Resume-building experience
- Letter of recommendation upon request
Your supervisor will work with you to create a regular work schedule and set up specific goals and projects.
Hours & Location
Flexible schedule with a minimum of 32 hours per week (4 days a week), starting mid January until the end of June. Must be willing to work occasional evenings and weekend events, as needed. Some telecommuting possible. During the time of internship extended time off is discouraged.
Our Rockville office is located at the nonprofit village located at 12320 Parklawn Drive Rockville, MD. We're a 14 minute (.7 miles) walk from the Twinbrook Metro Station. Transportation stipends are not available. Parking is available. At least one day a week will be required at EWI's headquarters office located in Old Town Alexandria.
How to Apply
Put the title "Program & Outreach Intern - Montgomery" in email subject line. Cover letter should be in the body of the email with resume attached in Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) or Microsoft Word (.doc) format. Send to Mary Louise Marino at email@example.com
All positions at Empowered Women International are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- 32 hours per week