Empowered Women International (EWI) seeks a Development Associate Intern to work closely with the Executive Director and Development Manager who is interested in learning about donor management, campaign initiatives, grants and event fundraising. This is a hands-on opportunity for someone who is a self-starter, willing to learn fast, able to commit and get things done. This is an unpaid internship.
1) assisting in donor management, including recording, issuing thank you letters and compiling periodic reports;
2) supporting fundraising campaigns and initiatives, including direct mail;
3) assisting in researching for grants and writing grant reports and other documents; and
4) providing executive assistance.
All internship positions are expected to handle general responsibilities including social media (writing, composing and posting content), office/admin (phone, mail, printing marketing materials, ordering supplies, organizing office space, tech troubleshooting, online research) and support at events (set up, outreach, assistance).
- Highly organized and attention to detail a must!
- Some experience in research, writing and office support
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to learn, adapt quickly, and work in a fast-paced environment, manage time, and balance multiple projects
- Understanding of and dedication to EWI's vision and mission
- Professional attitude and ability to represent EWI in meetings and presentations
- Ability to deal with information in a confidential manner and respond with sensitivity to the opinions of others
- Creative, enthusiastic, positive and energetic outlook
- High sense of responsibility, problem solving skills, results oriented, and resourceful
- Ability to take initiative and work both independently and as a team
- Proficiency in computer skills including database, spreadsheet, Internet, social media, website, and office applications
- May perform other job duties as directed by supervisor
- Must have a personal computer and be willing to use it for the work assigned
A dynamic women's entrepreneurial development organization, Empowered Women International creates social empowerment and economic opportunity for immigrant, refugee and American-born women who face challenging economic and personal circumstances in the greater Washington, DC, metropolitan area.
We offer a holistic model of empowerment through entrepreneurship and workforce training, mentoring, access to markets and capital, and highly individualized support services that remove women from unemployment and isolation, restore their lives and livelihoods and help them reach their fullest potential.
How you benefit
Creativity, innovation, entrepreneurial drive, integrity, respect for all and leadership skills are qualities we value highly at EWI. We work closely with you and empower you to use your own creative capital to excel in your work. We help you discover your talents, strengths and abilities that become the driving force in your project and for future employment and career development. This is the perfect position self-start who is interested in learning about nonprofit management, program delivery, women's empowerment, micro-enterprise development and economic opportunity.
Interns take on a lot of responsibility, work in small creative teams, take initiative and solve problems, and complete their internship with a significant sense of learning, service and accomplishment.
This position also provides:
- Opportunity for hands-on experience in all aspects of a non-profit organization, from administrative, fundraising, and marketing
- Inside experience with a dynamic and fast-growing organization working on micro-enterprise development for women
- Resume-building experience
- Letter of recommendation upon request
Your supervisor will work with you to create a regular work schedule and set up specific goals and projects.
Hours & Location
Flexible schedule with a minimum of 32 hours per week (4 days a week), starting mid January until end of June. Must be willing to work occasional evenings and weekend events, as needed. Some telecommuting possible. During the time of internship extended time off is discouraged.
Our headquarters are conveniently located in Old Town Alexandria, about 6 blocks from the blue and yellow line King Street Metro. Parking also available.
This is an unpaid internship and transportation stipends are not available.
How to Apply
Put the title "Development Associate Intern" in email subject line. Cover letter should be in the body of the email with resume attached in Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) or Microsoft Word (.doc) format. Send to Mary Louise Marino at email@example.com
All positions at Empowered Women International are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- 32 hours per week