As members of the Challenger Learning Center Flight Crew, volunteer will assist in grades 4-12 on simulated space adventure missions.
Volunteers will support the Flight Director and crew members by facilitating a variety of space scenarios for weekday school groups. All volunteers begin as a Capsule Communicator before being promoted to other ranks. Promotions will be based on Flight Director's recommendations.
Capsule Communicator - CAPCOM
- Greet school buses when they arrive at the Challenger Learning Center
- Assist Flight Director with crowd control
- Provide assistance with daily operations at CLC including the preparations of materials and simulator for missions.
Integrated Communications Officer - INCO
- Facilitate student orientations
- Assist Flight Director with crowd control during the missions
- Aid students with mission-specific tasks
- Work directly with the Flight Director during the mission
- Prepare Mission control and Space Station for liftoff
- Command simulated space missions for schools, groups, and corporate outings.
How much space science do you need to know?
Knowledge of basic space science is helpful. However, if you have a passion for learning, we have plenty of resources to share. As a volunteer, your main goal is to make our visitors feel excited, inspired, and curious about science.
- Adult Education
- General Education
- Math / Science Instruction
- Teaching / Instruction
Good Match For
Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 13
- A minimum of 6 months with 6 or more hours a month
- Complete the Adult Volunteer Application at kysciencecenter.org/volunteer