Disaster Case Managers - WV VOAD
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
West Virginia Voluntary Organizations Active in Disasters (WV VOAD) is looking for compassionate, organized, energetic case managers to help West Virginians recover from the devastating storms and flooding this past year. Many residents have been displaced from their homes or are still living in unsafe poor housing conditions. The case management team will reach out to people in various counties of Southern West Virginia that were impacted by the floods, to assess their needs, develop individual recovery plans, and walk with their clients on their journey toward renewed stability.
Position Title: Disaster Case Manager (non‐paid position)
Reports to: Disaster Case Management Supervisor
Summary: This position provides direct case management services to disaster survivors and their
families through advocacy, information and referral, crisis intervention services, and recovery services.
Duties and Responsibilities:
* Conducts, thorough needs assessment and develops a recovery plan to address identified disaster related un‐met needs.
* Develops a relationship with client families so as to provide the best advocacy and direction to these
families to ensure their reaching self‐sufficiency;
* Assists the survivor to determine the best course of action for both short and long term recovery.
* Develops, implements and monitors recovery plans with disaster survivors and their families to return
at a minimum to pre‐disaster level of well‐being.
* Provides extensive and intensive case management and follow‐up services.
* Utilizes knowledge of the resources available and makes appropriate referrals to resolve identified
* Conducts home visits as necessary.
* Advocates and interacts with other service providers on behalf of participants;
* Ensures complete case files and presents case files to Case Management Supervisor for review;
* Maintains current and accurate documentation of services provided to clients.
* Identifies and connects disaster survivors to resources on the local, state, and federal level.
* Reports gaps in services to Case Management Supervisor.
* Assists clients in applying for and receiving public and private benefits.
* Attends regular sessions with immediate supervisor.
Skills and Ability
* Communicates effectively both verbally and in writing.
* High degree of self‐motivation, task and detailed oriented.
* Tracking, reporting, and documentation skills.
* Works well in a team environment.
* Cultural competence, awareness, and sensitivity. Works with economically disadvantaged clientele and
special needs populations with compassion, understanding and a positive attitude.
* Maintains client confidentiality.
* Differentiates between chronic needs vs. disaster‐related needs.
* Knowledge of community resources and service groups.
* Computer proficiency: Email, MS Word, Excel. Adobe Reader.
* Start date: Immediate.
* Timeframe: 6‐week minimum commitment, with option to continue work until case‐load is closed.
* Hours: 10 to 20 hours/week. Ability to work flexible hours based on client and community needs.
* Location : Worksite will vary to include working from home, i n the field doing home site‐visits, and
meeting with Disaster Case Management Supervisor in Williamson, WV or at an agreed upon location.
* Travel : V alid WV Driver’s License and use of personal vehicle for reimbursable work travel.
* Equipment : Must have own phone and computer. Use of home equipment is Tax deductible.
* Training: Disaster Case Management training is required and will be provided. Other training
opportunities available, if time allows.
* Compensation : Non‐paid position. Will provide reimbursement for work‐related travel.
Education/Experience : Prefered - Bachelor degree or background in social work, sociology, counseling, teaching, psychology, or public administration, and/or retired professionals in related field.
We'll work with your schedule.
One United Way SquareCharleston, WV 25301Wayne, WV 25570
- Disaster Response
- Disaster Relief Care & Shelters
- Basic Computer Skills
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Must be at least 55
- Orientation or Training
- As available