English for Successful Living (ESL) Volunteer Teacher
To support Latino students and their families by providing a comprehensive support system through tutoring, mentoring, and resources that promotes academic, physical, and personal growth.
Under the supervision of the ESL Director, responsibilities include:
- · Be properly prepared for every lesson.
- · Arrive 30 minutes prior to class.
- · Commit to the entire semester.
- · Plan and execute a lesson plan based on ESL curriculum.
- · Track student attendance for each class.
- · Set up classrooms according to student registrations and expected attendance.
- · Complete student written assessments.
- · Communicate program needs to ESL Director on an ongoing basis.
- · Communicate weekly with the other teacher if co-teaching.
- · Provide 36 hour advance notice to director if unable to teach.
August - June
All prospective volunteers must submit an online application form and successfully complete a background check screening. In addition, all volunteers must:
- Be 18 years or older.
- Be a native or fluent English speaker.
- Be willing to make a 27-week commitment.
- Be willing to attend training before each session.
- Have regular access to email.
- Have a desire to work with adults from different cultural, educational and economic backgrounds.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Ability to work with adult students of different cultural and ethnic backgrounds, abilities, and skills. Possess good interpersonal and organizational skills. Possess characteristics of responsibility, desire to help others, discretion, and flexibility. Ability to work independently applying critical thinking skills and problem solving to various situations.
Benefits of participating as an ESL Volunteer Teacher
* Satisfaction of helping adult learners succeed.
* Encouragement and recognition for your efforts.
* Be a part of LaAmistad’s success and growth, we love our volunteers!
If you are interested in this volunteer opportunity or would like additional information, please contact Carla Phillips, Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Adult Education
- Literacy / Reading
- Reading / Writing
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Varies by location