Open Door needs 1-2 volunteers to read with preschool children and work on coloring sheets while their mother participates in our safe sleep and parenting workshop: Baby Box
The parent will be in the same room.
We will provide training in bringing a book to life for the children and how to be interactive with the story.
Volunteers need to enjoy working with young children.
- To provide an environment to allow the mother to participate in the parenting program
- To encourage children to enjoy books and reading, to better prepare them to become Kindergarten Ready. This is part of our Reach Out and Read Program, a national literacy program.
- Fun coloring sheets and some with targeted messages such as nutrition, wellness and self-esteem.
Day: First Tuesday of the month
Shift 1: 12:00pm - 1:30pm
Shift 2: 2:00pm - 3:30pm
Shift 3: 4:00pm - 5:30pm
Location: Ossining Open Door, 165 Main Street, Ossining, NY
Call: Alicia Ward, Volunteer Coordinator for more information: 914-502-1468
Requirements to volunteer:
Background check 2 References
PPD test and Flu vaccine (free of charge from Open Door if needed)
- Literacy / Reading
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- 1 1/2 hours on the first Tuesday of the month
- Application; Background Check; 2 References; Medical Information; TB test; Flu Vaccine; Orientation