The Alzheimer's Association Greater Indiana Chapter provides support to those living with Alzheimer's disease and their caregivers in many different ways. This includes a 24/7 Helpline that is answered locally during normal business hours.
The Helpline Specialist volunteer will assist in meeting the needs of all callers by providing support, reassurance and guidance, as well as information about Alzheimer's disease and related dementias and community resources.
We ask for a minimum 1 year commitment with this role, and approximately 4-7hrs per week depending on shift. This opportunity takes place in our main office on the north side of Indy.Volunteers must be willing learn the chapter's consituent database program by completing training in order to document caller interactions.
As of 7/11/16, we have the following needs:
- Monday for a full day, or in shifts below
- Monday 8:30am-12pm
- Monday 12pm-4pm
- Social work or similar background, or extensive experience as former caregiver for someone with Alzheimer's
- Familiarity with Alzheimer's disease and related dementias, as well as caregiver issues
- Good computer skills, data entry, and training on program used to track calls
- Ability to handle difficult situations or conversations
- Good telephone presense, listening skills, and kind/compassionate professional demeanor
- Interest in helping others and strong sense of commitment and responsibility
- Background check will be required
- Not currently a primary caregiver
Because this opportunity includes direct contact with families, there will be detailed training involved that may take several weeks to complete depending on your schedule.
We will ask volunteers to fill out the application online. http://alz.org/indiana/volunteer
- Mental Health
- People Skills
- Counseling / Mental Health
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 23
- Orientation or Training
- Weekly commitment