In the volunteer role, reporting to and in partnership with the Executive Director, the Director of Development will spearhead development efforts and build a team to identify and foster relationships with both donors and sponsors in order to support the operation of MoSS and help it flourish. A new position in the organization, the Director of Development will have the opportunity to build the development function within the organization.
Founded in 2008, MoSS's mission is to inspire and educate people in their communities about science and sustainable living. This entirely volunteer-run 501(c)3 achieves this mission by bringing portable science exhibits to events, communities, libraries, and schools for free (in most cases)
For more information, please visit thebigmoss.org
- In consultation with the Executive Director, recruit, interview, and select well-qualified fund development staff
- Build relationships with community stakeholders to advance the mission and fundraising goals of the organization
- Implement and maintain a grant and donor database
- Collaborate with the Board of Directors, Operation Directors and Executive Director to create a development plan which increases revenues to support the strategic direction of the organization
- Present the fundraising plan to the Operation Directors for approval
- Implement the approved fund development plans in accordance with ethical fundraising principles
- Monitor and evaluate all fundraising activities to ensure that the fundraising goals are being achieved
- Monitor trends in the community or region and adapt fundraising strategies as necessary
- Develop and manage timelines for various fundraising activities to ensure strategic plans and critical fund raising processes are carried out in a timely manner
- Develop policies and procedures for the development department which reflect ethical fundraising practices
- Prepare and submit grant applications as outlined in the fund development plan to generate funds for the organization
- Oversee the planning and execution of special fundraising events as specified in the fund development plan to generate funds for the organization
- Identify and develop corporate, community and individual prospects for the organization’s fundraising priorities
- Oversee the administration of a donor mailing list and database which respects the privacy and confidentiality of donor information
- Coordinate in-kind donations and make decisions regarding the issuing of receipts
- Prepare regular reports on progress, budgets, receipts and expenditure related to fundraising and the management of the fund development activities
- Develop a comprehensive communication plan to promote the organization to its donors and maximize public awareness of the fundraising activities of the organization
- Coordinate the design, printing and distribution of marketing and communication materials for development efforts
- As this person will be helping us develop this role (and eventual team), it is necessary to be local.
- Ability to meet every two weeks during the first few months in position.
- Ability to work independently and virtually for an additional 5-10 hours per week.
- At least three years of experience with major gifts and donor relations.
- A track record for obtaining small to large grants
- Micro startup experience is a plus
- Grant Writing / Research
- Resource Development / Management
- Donor Management
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- 5-10 hours per week