Have you ever thought about being aboard a genuine World War II Victory Ship and explaining its history to a group of interested visitors or helping preserve it for future generations?
Well then, here is your opportunity, because the SS Red Oak Victory is looking for volunteers in a variety of areas. If you have an interest in ships, the history of Richmond and the Kaiser shipyards, WW II, the Merchant Marine, or all things nautical, please consider becoming a docent on board the SS Red Oak Victory - and if being a docent isn’t your thing, we are also looking for volunteers in other areas such as marketing, engineering, fund raising, and working on deck.
You will have the opportunity to work with a great bunch of men and women volunteers all of whom share a passion for the ship and our goal of making it operational once again. Did I say "operational"? Yes, I did! The crew has been working since 1998 to bring the ship back to life and we are hopeful to be able to light off the boilers in early 2016 for the first time since 1968 when the ROV made its last voyage from Viet Nam to San Francisco.
Are you thinking you may not have the background to be a docent? Don’t worry about that - we will train you. Have time during the week? Bored on weekends? We can always use your help. The only job requirement is an interest in being part of the crew and having fun. The ship is open to the public on weekends and two days during the week (Tuesday and Thursday) from 10:00 am until 4:00 pm. The environment is casual and the hours are flexible.
If you want to know more about any of our volunteer opportunities, please contact me by phone or email at the address below, or better yet, drop by the ship and say "Hello". We will be glad to show you around and talk about making the SS Red Oak Victory great again.
We are looking forward to meeting you!
- Adult Education
- General Education
- People Skills
- Public Speaking
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Lots of walking up and down stairs to take people around the ship
- Visitor Docent On the SS Red Oak...
- Discover Mysteries in the Museum!
- Information Technology Technician
- Help your community history...
- Richmond Museum of History...
- Help us keep our Museum beautiful!
- Costume & Textile Collection...
- Photography Collection Volunteer
- Carpenter for Local History Museum
- Volunteer Recruiting On The SS...
- Deck Department On The SS Red...
- Electrician on SS Red Oak Victory
- Greeter on SS Red Oak Victory
- Architectural Historian
- Help our community museum...
- Rose Garden Crew
- Steward on SS Red Oak Victory
- Public history research in local...
- Local History Museum Marketing...
- Administrative Assistant