Patient Care Volunteer
Supervised by: Volunteer Coordinator
Positions Supervised: N/A
Interrelationships: Patients, family, IDG and other health care team members
Serves as a member of the Hospice IDG. Provides respite services to assigned patients and
Educational/Degree: High school graduate or GED, preferred.
Training/Licensure: Completes Hospice training program.
Knowledge/Skills/Ability: Willingness to work as a Hospice team member. Demonstrated
knowledge and well developed communication skills.
Experience: Previous experience with volunteering, grief and/or bereavement,
Must possess sight/hearing senses or use appropriate adaptive devices that will enable senses to
function at a level required to meet the essential duties of the position.
Must be able to work independently, make judgments based on assessments and data available
and act accordingly. Must be flexible, innovative and possess good interpersonal skills. Must be
able to cope with mental and emotional stress and demonstrate emotional stability.
Be able to tolerate exposure to elements including, but not limited to, odors, blood, body fluids
and excrements, adverse environmental conditions and hazardous materials.
Must have a current valid driver’s license, auto liability insurance and reliable transportation.
1. Serves as a member of the IDG as requested.
2. Provides assigned respite services to patient and/or family.
3. Understands and implements appropriate interventions for death and dying.
4. Provides emotional support and compassionate care to the patient and family unit.
5. Communicates at the appropriate level with each patient and family.
6. Documents services provided to each patient and family.
7. Coordinate efforts with Volunteer Coordinator if not able to provide assigned services.
8. Consult with team members for issues relating to the patient/family plan of care.
- Administrative Support
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Data Entry
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training