- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
219 people are interested
Help students in Northeast Florida prepare for Kindergarten, by being a ReadingPals Volunteer! ReadingPals offers volunteers an opportunity to build meaningful relationships with young children in Florida, while helping them improve their social-emotional development and early literacy skills. Volunteers must be 18 years old or older in order to participate as a ReadingPals Volunteer.
45% of children in Florida are not ready for Kindergarten and 43% of Florida students cannot read at a minimally proficient level by the end of third grade. Additionally, studies show that children with mentors are more confident and have fewer behavioral problems. Early intervention and individualized attention gives students the best likelihood of success.
Who We Are
ReadingPals was designed by The Children’s Movement of Florida and is currently administered through 17 United Ways with the help of numerous community partners across the state. ReadingPals is a volunteer-based early literacy initiative that provides mentors for Pre-K students who may need extra help, utilizing one-on-one or small group settings.
- To build genuine, impactful relationships between students and our volunteer mentors.
- To help students build a strong social-emotional foundation through self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, relationship skills and responsible decision-making.
- To improve students’ understanding of the fundamental building blocks of early literacy.
What We Do
For 30 minutes each week, a ReadingPals volunteer spends time with a pair of preschoolers, reading a book, completing activities, and developing skills that the children will need for success in school. Each child participating in the ReadingPals initiative also receives at least ten books to help build their home library. Note: The ReadingPals program is offered during the school year: September to May.
Group Training Information:
Although ReadingPals' training typically occurs in our downtown office at 40 East Adams Street, we are happy to bring a training class to your colleagues or friends! Please contact Kayla Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org or 904-330-3954 to inquire.
We'll work with your schedule.
20 sites across JacksonvilleJacksonville, FL 32202
- Literacy / Reading
- Community Outreach
- Teaching / Instruction
- Child Development
- Verbal / Written Communication
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Minimum: 30 minutes per week; Suggested: 1 hour per week
- Attend a ReadingPals Training and submit information for a background check.