Become a Shelter Assistant Volunteer at YEAH! - Berkeley's Shelter for Young Adults
42 people are interested
Come make a huge difference at YEAH!, and help shelter staff keep systems running smoothly while you hang out with some really incredible young people staying at the YEAH! shelter!
You can come to a volunteer orientation to learn more, get prepared to volunteer, and sign up for shifts as soon as next week! Get in touch to RSVP!
Here's a little more about our programs:
YEAH! was founded in 2002 as a community response to youth homlessness. At YEAH!, young people ages 18-24 can access case management, mental health supports, groups, social activities, seasonal shelter, food, and basic necessities like food and clothing.
When the shelter opens at 8:00pm each night, youth have access to freshly cooked hot dinners, showers, and laundry, as well as hygiene products and clothing. We often have activities in the evening, including games, movies, and community meetings. Youth are able to store personal belongings in a secure lockers, and utilize a mat with clean sheets to sleep on. Breakfast is available each morning before we close at 8:00am.
The YEAH! Shelter Assistant Volunteer:
- Morning Shift: 6:30 to 8:30am (Monday through Friday)
- Evening Shift: 8:00 to 10:00pm (Every Day)
- Volunteers commit to coming in once a week, but we are flexible when folks are out of town or call in sick.
- One volunteer, but folks can also sign up as a pair
- Volunteers make sure that the spaces youth access supplies, showers, and laundry are adequately supplied and ready for the evening or morning!
- Volunteers monitor the space and keep track of the shower and laundry schedules, and who is accessing supplies
- This positions also allows for volunteers to chat with some cool young people, and they make a big difference in helping the shelter run smoothly!
About Youth Engagement Advocacy Housing (YEAH!)
1744 University Ave, Berkeley, CA 94703, US
Our mission is to support young adults (18-24) in Berkeley who are currently homeless. We provide basic necessities, offer case management and counseling, linkages to education, employment and housing, and opportunities for meaningful community involvement.
YEAH! is one of Berkeley’s only shelters for transitional age youth (18-24). We assist young people who are currently homeless by providing basic relief from the stress of living on the street. We are also dedicated to co-creating a community of mutual support--a community where youth can identify personal goals and explore alternatives to life on the street.
We'll work with your schedule.
1744 University Ave.Berkeley, CA 94703
February 17, 2020
- Background Check
- Must be at least 25
- Orientation or Training
- Once a week for a two hour shift