Serve and/or Cook Breakfast at YEAH! - Berkeley's Shelter for Young Adults
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
5 people are interested
Ready to start your day off on the right note?Come to YEAH! in the morning to serve breakfast to the awesome young people who stay at our shelter! You can come to a volunteer orientation to learn more, get prepared to volunteer, and sign up for shifts as soon as next week! Get in touch to RSVP!
Here's a little more about our programs:
YEAH! was founded in 2002 as a community response to youth homlessness. At YEAH!, young people ages 18-24 can access case management, mental health supports, groups, social activities, seasonal shelter, food, and basic necessities like food and clothing.
When the shelter opens at 8:00pm each night, youth have access to freshly cooked hot dinners, showers, and laundry, as well as hygiene products and clothing. We often have activities in the evening, including games, movies, and community meetings. Youth are able to store personal belongings in a secure lockers, and utilize a mat with clean sheets to sleep on. Breakfast is available each morning before we close at 8:00am.
Monday - Friday Breakfast:
- Shift Time: 6:30 to 8:30am
- Once a week commitment on a regular day
- Typically one volunteer who receives help with clean up, but folks can also sign up in pairs.
- Volunteers put out and replenish our standard breakfast items such as cereal, oatmeal packets, coffee, tea, fruit, etc. Youth sever themselves.
- Volunteers clean up the dishes and the kitchen area with the help of another volunteer at the end of their shift.
Saturday & Sunday Breakfast:
- Shift Time: 6:30 to 8:30am
- Once a month commitment
- Folks can sign up to volunteer as an individual or in small groups up to four people.
- We have eggs and pancake mix to make hot breakfast, but volunteers are also encouraged to bring additional ingredients to make breakfast even better!
- Volunteers cook breakfast, serve the food, and clean up the dishes and kitchen at the end of their shift!
There are several other positions, including cooking dinner, serving dinner, and assisting shelter staff with keeping various systems running smoothly. We are looking for volunteers for all of these positions! Contact the Community Relations Coordinator to find out how to get involved and when upcoming volunteer orientations are! We have one or two almost every week!
About Youth Engagement Advocacy Housing (YEAH!)
1744 University Ave, Berkeley, CA 94703, US
Our mission is to support young adults (18-24) in Berkeley who are currently homeless. We provide basic necessities, offer case management and counseling, linkages to education, employment and housing, and opportunities for meaningful community involvement.
YEAH! is one of Berkeley’s only shelters for transitional age youth (18-24). We assist young people who are currently homeless by providing basic relief from the stress of living on the street. We are also dedicated to co-creating a community of mutual support--a community where youth can identify personal goals and explore alternatives to life on the street.
We'll work with your schedule.
1744 University Ave.Berkeley, CA 94703
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Once a week or once a month depends on day of week