YEAH! uses many volunteers for our shelter, but we have an exceptionally large need for folks who are interested in serving dinner at our shelter! You can come to a volunteer orientation to learn more, get prepared to volunteer, and sign up for shifts as soon as next week! Get in touch to RSVP!
Here's a little more about our programs:
YEAH! was founded in 2002 as a community response to youth homlessness. At YEAH!, young people ages 18-24 can access case management, mental health supports, groups, social activities, seasonal shelter, food, and basic necessities like food and clothing.
When the shelter opens at 8:00pm each night, youth have access to freshly cooked hot dinners, showers, and laundry, as well as hygiene products and clothing. We often have activities in the evening, including games, movies, and community meetings. Youth are able to store personal belongings in a secure lockers, and utilize a mat with clean sheets to sleep on. Breakfast is available each morning before we close at 8:00am.
YEAH! Dinner Servers:
- Shift Time: 7:45 to 10:15pm
- Once a week commitment for a minimum of four months with a consistent schedule (we are flexible when folks need to cancel a shift ahead of time or call in sick!)
- Two people serve - they can sign up together or be partnered with another volunteer.
- Volunteers individually plate food for each person (approx. 25 youth) and serve it to them.
- Volunteer clean all dishes and the kitchen so that it is left clean for the breakfast volunteers!
- This position provides the opportunity to make some small conversation with the youth and see some of the programming that happens in the shelter.
There are several other positions, including cooking dinner, cooking and serving breakfast, and assisting shelter staff with keeping various systems running smoothly. We are looking for volunteers for all of these positions! Contact the Community Relations Coordinator to find out how to get involved and when upcoming volunteer orientations are!