The clients we serve require basic social services to transition to their new lives in the United States and education in English language and other skills. English is an integral part of their resettlement process. Few clients who do not speak English can successfully find employment and attain quality of life for themselves and their families after years of violence, trauma and the struggle to survive with meager resources. Because English language competency is necessary for most employment in the United States, clients require special assistance practicing material from the formal ESL classes offered through our agency.
The efforts of the intern will positively affect clients in gaining more competencies in English language. The improvement of clients in this area will assist the resettlement services in increasing client eligibility in employment and consequently in obtaining self-sufficiency at a more rapid rate. The hours must be consistent on a weekly basis and they must be during the hours that our office is open (8:00am-4:30pm). Applicants should be self-motivated as much of this position will be completed with minimal supervision. Applicants should be comfortable working in a multi-cultural environment and communicating with people with limited English skills.
Job duties include:
- Provide small group lessons in English as a second language for refugee clients
- Provide instruction and curriculum with guidance from Refugee Focus staff
- Plan interactive activities designed to improve English vocabulary, speaking, writing and reading skills
- Help clients with assigned ELT homework as needed
- Provide a safe environment for practicing English language conversation
- Assess the needs of the client in relation to English language learning and alert Refugee Focus staff of any barriers to education
- Adult Education
- Literacy / Reading
- Teaching / Instruction
- Reading / Writing
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 2-4 hours per week
- Interpreter Coordinator
- Refugee Focus Spring Intern 2017
- School Assistant for Refugee ELL...
- PART-TIME SEWING INSTRUCTOR
- Professional Mentors Needed
- Computer Tutor
- Refugee Focus Women’s...
- English Language Training...
- English Language Tutor for...
- Refugee Child Care Volunteer
- Women's Nutrition Volunteer...