Our focus is getting first-generation college-bound young folks to and through college! Work directly with a young person to help them achieve their educational and life goals.
- Serve as a positive role model and friend
- Build the relationship through consistent, long-term communication
- Communicate with Scholar weekly by phone, e-mail
- Plan in-person activities with Scholar once a month.
- Build self-esteem and motivation
- Help set goals and work toward accomplishing them
- Be at least 21 years of age.
- Reside in the Portland Metro area.
- Adhere to all Marathon Scholars policies and procedures.
- Agree to an initial 4-year commitment to the program, with the option of continuing beyond that.
- Commit to in person visits with your Scholar once a month and additional contact through e-mail, phone, or mail as needed.
- Successfully pass the screening procedure.
- Attend an initial 2.5 hour mentor training.
- Communicate regularly with the program manager.
- Have access to an automobile or reliable transportation.
- Willing listener
- Encouraging and supportive
- Patient and flexible
- Tolerant and respectful of individual differences
- Understand the importance of higher education
- Personal fulfillment through contribution to the community and individuals.
- Satisfaction in helping someone mature, progress, and achieve goals.
- Training sessions and group activities.
- Mileage and expenses are tax deductible.
- Personal ongoing support, supervision to help the match succeed.
- Mentor/Scholar group activities, complimentary tickets to community events, participant recognition events.
Application and Screening Process
- Driving record check
- Criminal history check: state, child abuse and neglect registry, sexual offender registry
- Personal interview
- Provide three personal references
For more information, contact Marathon Scholars at email@example.com or 503-235-2500
- People Skills
- Youth Services
- Cross-cultural Communication
- Relationship Building
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- Up to 5 hrs/month