Communications and Social Media Intern
WhenSat Mar 11, 2017 - Fri Sep 15, 2017
WhereThis is a Virtual Opportunity, with no fixed address.
Do you have a strong passion for the development of Africa? Do you have innovative ideas on how the youth can contribute to Africa’s development? Do you want to work directly with the African Development Bank, UNHabitat, the African Union, and the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa? Do you want to attend meetings at the UN Headquarters in New York? Do you love to network and meet people from all over the world? Then this position is for you!
YALDA is a networking organization that is truly Africa branded : "By Africans, For Africa!".
YALDA is a non-profit international organization that was established by upper level and graduate Harvard University students in order to create a resourceful networking database for those with a strong interest in Africa. The network is centered around YALDA branches, primarily at African universities, and serves to increase the capacity of youth in Africa for developing positive leadership skills and to espouse an honest work ethic. YALDA US works on researching opportunities in Africa, fundraising activities, working with branches, maintaining relationship with UN and compliance with regulations as a 501 (c),(3).
The communications and social media intern is responsible for executing reporting and the developing new and innovative approaches to using social media networks. This six-month internship provides an important role in our New York and international presence. The intern will be recognized as a key member of the team and reports directly to the Vice President. This position requires primarily working from home with some outside site visits in New York.
- Writing - Develop thought-provoking, insightful, and entertaining communications that accurately reflect the voice and messaging.
- Reporting - Maintain regular reporting such as quarterly reports and meeting notes
- Website management - Ensure the website and related social media pages are kept up to date.
- Innovation - Know best practices, but also experiment with and innovate new ways of using social media networks to make an impact. Knowledge of Facebook, Twitter, Hootsuite, and Linked-In.
- Research - Leading research on opportunities and relevant topics in African economic development and Diaspora collaboration
- Analytics - Manage systems to monitor activity across our social media channels, assess our impact, and evaluate the success of our strategy; regularly update other staff about our performance. Manage our social media presence and implement new ideas to grow audience and engagement
- Special projects - Attending and reporting on events as a representative of YALDA.
- Other tasks and responsibilities as needed
- Has a strong passion for Africa, Diaspora Relations, and International Development
- We want technologically savvy candidates that can work remotely and collaboratively
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Undergraduate degree, with strong preference given to those with a Masters degree. Enrollment in a degree program is fine
- While not required, a strong preference will be given to those with a background in graphic design
- French language proficiency highly preferred
- Candidates can be located anywhere in the United States but New York City based candidates are particularly encouraged to apply
- Must have a personal computer and reliable internet connection
- Must be able to commit at least 15 hours a week
How to apply
This is a six-month unpaid internship. Please send cover letter, resume, and 2 writing samples (no more than 5 pages each) to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 28, 2017. Please quote "YALDA US Communications and Social Media Intern" in the subject line. For a start date on Saturday 11 March, 2017.Position opens until filled by best candidate.
- Social media, Administrative, interest in Africa a strong plus: 1 year
- Administrative Support
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Database Administration
- Social Media / Blogging
- Internet Research
- Interactive/Social Media/SEO
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment