From a teen who visited a DOROT Senior: I LOVED THIS VISIT SO MUCH!!! It was really heartwarming and gratifying to see how elated Angie was after she opened the gifts that were in the birthday package. It was so nice to see someone so happy by our visit and what we brought with us. I felt very at ease and it was great talking to her and seeing her reaction to the gifts. -Jessica, 10th grade
Teens help alleviate loneliness and social isolation of DOROT's seniors through a variety of hands-on experiences in the community and onsite at DOROT.
Teen Interns may:
- visit seniors in their home for companionship.
- teach seniors how to use a computer, iPad, iShuffle, and other types of technology.
- celebrate seniors’ birthdays.
- deliver meals to seniors.
- send birthday cards out to seniors.
- read to visually impaired seniors.
- shop and delivery groceries to seniors.
- play chess, cards, scrabble, and other games with seniors.
- assist with office work at DOROT.
- take part in a variety of other opportunities and experiences.
- 1 day a week (Monday - Thursday)
- 2 hours a day (after school - no later than 4:00-6:00pm)
- 1 semester (minimum of 10 times at DOROT)
Our Teen Internship has limited spots and is competitive, so teens must go through an application process. As a prospective intern, the first step is to fill out the interest form, then contact Shelley Levine at 917-441-5051 for a brief phone interview. We take great care to find teen interns who are committed, responsible, reliable, and enthusiastic about working with seniors.
Eligibile teens are in 9th-12th grades.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Create Birthday Cards for Seniors
- Lead a teleconference class
- Lead a teleconference class for...
- Retired? Volunteer at DOROT and...
- CREATE CARDS FOR VETERANS
- DOROT School Year TEEN Internship
- DOROT School Year Teen...
- Intergenerational Chess - Youth...
- Escort a senior to a cultural...
- Become a Friendly Visitor with a...
- Teach computer skills to local...
- CREATE CARDS FOR VETERANS- A...
- Intergenerational After-School...
- Serve dinner & socialize with...
- Help frail seniors with grocery...
- Knitting & Crocheting Afghans...