Off-Site Sales and Events Internship
Ten Thousand Villages of Austin (TTV) is a 501(c)(3) fair trade retailer of artisan-crafted works from across the globe. A founding member of the World Fair Trade Organization (WFTO), Ten Thousand Villages sees fair trade as an alternative approach to conventional international trade. We seek to establish long-term buying relationships in places where skilled artisans are under- or unemployed. Featuring products from more than 130 artisan groups in 38 countries, we are part of a network of over 70+ retail outlets throughout the United States selling Ten Thousand Villages products. As one of the world’s oldest and largest fair trade organizations, Ten Thousand Villages has spent more than 60 years cultivating trading relationships in which artisans receive a fair price for their work and consumers have access to distinctive handcrafted items.
We are currently looking for an Intern who is passionate about our mission, and interested in helping our store thrive in our new location on Burnet Road. This person will help manage our holiday off site sales and benefit nights, completing logistical tasks associated with these events; increasing their scope and seeking new opportunities.
Off-site sales are opportunities to sell artisan handcrafts outside of our normal retail space. They are often at festivals, markets, or churches and normally take place on the weekends. Benefit Nights are shopping events hosted by Ten Thousand Villages to raise funds for other local nonprofits. October, November and December are the busiest months for both Offsite Sales and Benefit Nights, with multiple events per week. These programs allow us to support our community while building awareness and promoting fair trade outside the store.
We need a well organized Intern to make this year’s holiday season a success. This position is perfect for any student desiring hands-on experience with sales, inventory, event planning, and nonprofit management!
- Provide event support for our October art show and fundraiser, managing our Silent Auction
- Manage our offsite and Benefit Night calendars for November and December
- Assist with pack up, tracking inventory, and tracking sales throughout the offsite sale season
- Style the collections of products to be taken to each offsite sale
- Plan visual merchandising and create signage for each offsite sale
- Setup and breakdown of offsite sales when applicable (this role can be delegated to other volunteers)
- Assist with in store setup for Benefit Nights when applicable
- Be an assertive advocate for Ten Thousand Villages and Fair Trade both in store and at off sites
- Assist with store and organizational tasks throughout the Holiday Season
- Work with the Social Media intern to promote offsite sales and Benefit Nights online
- Excellent communication skills (verbal, written, electronic) and a cooperative work style
- Highly organized and able to multitask and manage multiple projects along a timeline
- Customer Service experience and strong interpersonal skills
- Proficiency using Google Drive, Mail and Calendar apps, and able to learn new software quickly
- Assertive, proactive, and able to take initiative and step outside comfort zone to learn new skills
- Enjoys using and understands Social Media
- Passionate about fair trade and/or global social justice
- 20% off all purchases at Ten Thousand Villages of Austin
- Positive, innovative, and fun work environment at an organization that has been named as one of the World’s Most Ethical Companies 7 years in a row by the Ethisphere Institute
- Opportunities to network with like-minded community members
- Professional development through Ten Thousand Villages evaluations and relevant training sessions
Interested applicants should submit brief letter of interest and resume to the Volunteer Coordinator, Alex Peters, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Internship requires 10-15 hours per week based in our new location at 4803 Burnet Rd (some hours can be completed remotely) and will begin in September 2016.
- Google Apps
- Event Planning / Management
- Brand Development & Messaging
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Inventory Management
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- 15 hours per week