Opening Doors’ Prosperity Project provides funding, training, and counseling to existing and prospective small business owners in order to drive economic growth and create opportunities for businesses and individuals in our community.
The Prosperity Project is committed to micro-enterprise development as an effective economic development strategy and poverty alleviation tool. One of our most successful programs is a financial capability course, serving primarily the Hispanic community, called MoneyWork$. It is an intense 12-session course covering a wide variety of personal financial and business topics, resulting in improved decision-making that positively affects the lives of its participants.
We are currently offering a unique internship or volunteer opportunity to a highly-qualified individual, with a passion for personal and community development, to join the team that implements this crucial and effective endeavor.
Goal or purpose of position: This position provides a range of support activities for the Hispanic Prosperity Program. For this position, we seek a well-organized, highly-motivated candidate who has a background in, or passion to learn about: personal finance and financial management, transitioning individuals into entrepreneurs, and the multi-ethnic environment of the Sacramento area.
Major responsibilities and duties of this internship include, but are not limited to:
- Provide administrative support to the Program Manager and program staff.
- Assist with the preparation and dissemination of class materials and manage confidential documents.
- Assist with the planning and coordination of various events, including workshops, classes, graduation events, fundraisers, etc.
- Review and grade participant classwork and homework, and transcribe class notes.
- Communicate with clients, via phone and email, on a variety of topics, including client demographic data, upcoming class reminders, etc.
- Compile and input client and program data in various databases and client tracking software.
- Perform research into market conditions, community resources, funding partners, collaborative partners, etc.
- Assist in the development and implementation of marketing and outreach strategies; compose "success stories" for local media.
Qualifications (required, preferred):
- Strong verbal communications skills, including professional, articulate phone skills; fluency in Spanish is a plus, but not required.
- Strong office, administrative, and research skills; ability to collect, compile, input, and analyze various data.
- Solid business writing skills (writing samples will be required from applicants); competency in Microsoft Word and other MS Office products.
- Ability to work independently, as well as in a team environment.
- Strong academic record, as well as a "Can-Do" attitude and eagerness to learn.
- Basic understanding of personal financial management issues and topics is preferred, but not required.
Time commitment: (hours/week; time of day) If the applicant is seeking college internship credit, the applicant will need to provide the total hour requirement need to obtain approved credit from their college. If the applicant is seeking to volunteer, there is no minimum nor maximum hour requirement. At the end of the tenure program the applicant will receive a letter of recommendation and Opening Doors management will gladly provide referrals upon request.
Work location: Opening Doors’ office, 1111 Howe Ave, Suite 125, Sacramento CA 95825
- Building connections in regional business and non-profit communities
- Develop financial management and language skills
- Exposure to opportunities to launch career
- Further multi-cultural awareness
How to Apply: Interested candidates should email a resume, cover letter, and additional business writing sample to email@example.com. Include "Financial Capability Program Intern/Volunteer - [Your name]" in the subject line. PLEASE NO PHONE CALLS
- Financial Planning
- Problem Solving
- Business Development
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Professional Development
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Must be at least 18
- Minimum of 2 full days availability, M-F