The San Dieguito Heritage Museum in Encinitas hopes to find FORMER AND CURRENT TEACHERS to participate in the School District 3RD GRADE ANNUAL FIELD TRIP PROGRAM as SCHOOL TOUR INSTRUCTORS. Children from area schools are brought to the museum in small groups for two hours on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays throughout the school year. Museum volunteers are provided as aides. The curriculum is well established and includes several craft activities, including bartering at the general store and butter making. The children are kept busy and it is a pleasant low-key working environment with a great group of volunteers.
School Tour Instructor - The Museum hosts approximately 1,000 students per year, mostly 1 st or 3 rdgraders, who come on school field trips. The School Tour Instructor instructs the students in one of the following activities:
- Barter Game - Teach how to barter using a deck of cards with pictures of various items such as cows, eggs, and hammers, etc., which the kids barter for similarly valued items.
- Making Butter - Children shake jars of cream until the butter is formed.
- Sand Painting - Tell a story through symbols that are "painted" onto paper using colored sand and glue.
- Shanty Making - Children make a small dwelling called a "shanty" out of craft paper.
Museum Tour - Students are taken on a tour of the Museum.
We are open to expanding/changing this curriculum and are also interested in finding a person who would like to coordinate the overall program.
- General Education
- Youth Services
- Teaching / Instruction
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- Tue/Wed/Thu 9:00-11:30
- Background in education is preferred.