The Youth Campaigns Communications Coordinator will work to increase the visibility of the Finding Voices program and low income/minority youth issues.
Specifically, the communications coordinator will engage the YC network by producing timely and strategic content for the project’s multiple social media and multimedia platforms.
The coordinator will collaborate with the project team to develop messaging campaigns to advance the mission of Youth Campaigns and coordinate other programmatic tasks as needed.
The communications coordinator may also be asked to build relationships with traditional/earned media and place stories, with an emphasis on increasing the profile of low income/minority youth at the forefront of local and statewide policy issues.
Core Functions and Duties
70% - Communications - Social Media/Network engagement/Content production
- Manage and produce written and visual/multimedia content for email listserv, website, and social media networks to raise the visibility of the YC. ○
- Write and design regular content for website and email list ○
- Use Photoshop and InDesign to create memes and edit photographs. ○
- Develop and post regular content for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr, and other social media platforms.
- Participate in key social media and YC communications team meetings.
- Plan and manage projects that use visuals, video, and/or multimedia storytelling to support YC’s work. Potential projects could include producing short web videos or infographics on timely issues, supervising design consultant work, and designing flyers.
- Assist with managing YC’s website, including overseeing the production of new content and shepherding its ongoing development
20% - Communications - Media Relations
- Build relationships with media outlets and key communications partners that will lead to mainstream media coverage of the center’s events.
- Track news coverage of YC and its key issues.
- Respond to media requests in a timely manner.
- Work with YC team members to generate and release media advisories, press releases, and statements and proactively pitch outlets around key issues.
- Develop talking points for pertinent current events and programming for use by staff and allies.
10% - Program Coordination
- Strategize with coordinating team on direction of campaign via social platforms
- Develop and incorporate new communications tools and creative disseminations strategies to strengthen YC’s programming.
- Keep track of current issues and strategies in the low income/minority youth movement to leverage opportunities for YC communications.
- Support the implementation of new communications initiatives.
- Lived or work experience with youth issues/experience in working with diverse communities or social justice organizations.
- Experience using various social media platforms and knowledge of social media engagement strategies.
- Experience in a field relevant to communications, public relations, marketing, journalism; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated ability to write and edit clear, engaging, and grammatically correct content.
- Demonstrated oral communication and interpersonal skills sufficient to convey information in a clear, concise way, synthesizing information and presenting it to others.
- Creative thinking and proven systematic organizational skills to work independently without supervision, determine workload priorities to complete work in a timely manner, and identify and resolve problems.
- Strong visual eye.
- Proven skill at working in a collective environment, including interpersonal skills to interact sensitively with colleagues, students, community members, and workers from diverse social, cultural, and educational backgrounds.
- Bilingual in Spanish and English; proficiency in written and oral Spanish; multiple languages a plus
- Demonstrated skill developing relationships with and pitching news stories to media.
- Fearlessness in learning new software independently
- Graphic design skills and video/multimedia production (preferred)
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, Wordpress, Hootsuite, and Mail Chimp (preferred)
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- min. 5 hours weekly