The reason that so many babies are dying in our community is complex, but something that is at the root of the problem is that many women in our community feel alone and frightened during pregnancy. The majority of our infants who die are born to single moms who report that they don’t have the social or emotional support that they need. Women in our most vulnerable neighborhoods tell us that pregnancy too often feels like a time of constant judgment. Imagine instead, if it felt like a time of unconditional support from their entire city.
You’re invited to write a letter of encouragement to a currently pregnant woman in our city. We’ll collect the letters and hand-deliver them to women during their prenatal doctor appointments.
Here’s what you need to know:
- Your letter can be short or long as long as it’s from the heart.
- Encouragement is the key word here. These women don’t need long lists of advice. They simply need to know that somewhere in Cincinnati, someone is rooting for them.
- Remember that many of the women receiving these notes live in poverty, many did not intend to get pregnant and many have very difficult lives. Remember, also, that none of that keeps them from being great moms.
- If you’re a mom yourself, feel free to share personal experiences with pregnancy. Did you overcome postpartum depression? Are you a single mom? Did you have a premature baby? Sharing a personal story of strength is a great way to inspire someone else.
- These letters aren’t just for first time moms: we believe all pregnant women could use a little love.
- Sign your letter with just your first name. Recipients of the letters won’t know anything else about you.
Letters can be submitted via email at email@example.com or snail mail at 3333 Burnet Avenue, MLC 7009 Cincinnati, Ohio 45229.
Visit http://www.cradlecincinnati.org/help-now/letters-of-love/ to view some examples of Letters of Love from other supportive volunteers in the past.
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment