Hospice Volunteer Program
- Quality of care is one of the cornerstones of our mission - a mission that could not be accomplished without the many 'helping hands' of our volunteers.
- All of our volunteers receive extensive training in providing comfort and support to families facing end-of-life issues. Topics covered during volunteer training include hospice, ways to improve communication, active listening, identifying and respecting cultural differences, spirituality, and grief and the healing process.
- Without the contributions of each and every one of the volunteers, we would not be able to provide the level of care and comfort to our patients for which we are renowned.
- Volunteers are an invaluable part of our interdisciplinary team. They demonstrate a deep commitment to the Hospice Philosophy and to their desire to help others. Volunteers perform direct services, both tangible and intangible, on behalf of the patients and their family and indirect services in administrative, and education on behalf of the agency.
What do Hospice volunteers do?
- Our volunteers assist patients and their families in a variety of ways, including:
- Companionship, reading, taking patient outside
- Sitting quietly with a patient
- Administrative work in the Hospice office
- The most valuable skill a volunteer has is the ability to be a compassionate presence. Volunteers increase the quality of life by offering emotional support and companionship to patients and their families.
- Volunteers in hospice find it personally gratifying, intellectually stimulating, and emotionally meaningful to assist those in need at a critical point in their lives. Volunteers consistently report that helping the terminally ill through Athena Hospice is not about dying but about living.
Please Contact Kristin Held at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Veteran Care
- Hospice Care
- Bereavement Support
- Spiritual Healing
- Music Therapy
- Administrative Support
Good Match For
Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 17
- Orientation or Training
- CORI check & Training