Peninsula Volunteers, Inc. (PVI) Meals on Wheels contracts with Aging and Adult Services (AAS) of San Mateo County to provide home delivered meals to clients that meet Older Americans Act (OAA) nutrition guidelines. The clients who receive meals as part of the county program must be contacted at least 4 times per year. This is accomplished with alternating in-home and phone assessments.
- changes in the client’s health
- living situation
- activities of daily living (ADL’s)
- instrumental activities of daily living (IADL’S)
The purpose of the visit is to see if the client still qualifies for the program (and most do). The phone assessment covers basically the same information.
Skills needed to complete the assessments:
- establishing rapport
- recommending appropriate resources.
The volunteer, after training, would be expected to make visits on their own.
Volunteer internship hours:
Once or twice per week for approximately 12 weeks starting around the first week of September. Days: TBD. Hours: 3 - 4 hour period. Typically one can do 4 to 5 home visits during this time.
We require all our volunteers, who perform in-home visits and meal delivery, to have a criminal background and DMV check. We would cover that cost. The experience of previous volunteer interns has proven to be very successful both for the PVI Meals on Wheels program as well as the students!
If you are interested please contact me as soon as possible so we can start the process. Again, thank you for your interest.
- People Skills
- Elder care
- Case Work / Management
- Community Outreach
- Relationship Building
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 25
- Orientation or Training
- Lunch Servers needed at Little...
- Senior Companion
- Rosener House Current Events...
- Bingo Assistant
- Tech Tutor
- Evening Front Desk at Little...
- Meals on Wheels Driver for San...
- Community Service Desk
- Passionate about helping...
- Phone Assessment
- In-Home Assessment Support
- Cribbage Game Leader
- Current Events Moderator
- Bingo Caller
- Bible Study Leader
- Morning front desk at Little...
- Meals on Wheels Food Packers
- Afternoon Front Desk at Little...
- Volunteers for Little House...