The Volunteer Tutoring Program at the Boys and Girls Club of Collier County provides students with extra help on an individual basis in academic subject areas including; Reading, Math, Science, Language Arts, and Social Studies. Retired teachers, education majors, and other community volunteers with a variety of career backgrounds assist in tutoring members. The program is open to students of all ages - elementary, middle and high school - 5 days a week during the school year, from 3 to 6 pm.
The Mentoring Program links members of the Club with positive role models among staff, volunteers, and local community members. The goal of the Mentoring Program is to provide consistent support, guidance, and concrete help on a one-to-one basis and to encourage mentees to improve academic achievement, school attendance, explore career goals, explore college and scholarship possibilities, solve life issues, and improve self-esteem. Volunteer mentors and mentees meet approximately one hour per week on the Boys & Girls Club of Collier County Main Campus located at 7500 Davis Boulevard, Naples. The relationship will last for the duration of one year. This provides time to develop a consistent, positive, healthy relationship. Training and mentoring activities will be provided to those who volunteer for participation in this program.
Tutor and Mentor Responsibilities:
· Commitment and consistency.
· Strong listening skills.
· A desire to be personally involved with another person to help him or her achieve personal and career goals.
· Ability to communicate with teenagers openly and in a nonjudgmental way.
· Ability to establish a relationship based on equal responsibility and respect.
· Practical problem solving skills and an ability to suggest options and alternatives.
· Sensitivity to persons of different education, economic, cultural or racial backgrounds.
Tutor and Mentor Requirements:
· Are at least 55 years old and agree to have a background check.
· Must submit a volunteer application.
· Are screened by Professional Club staff.
· Attend a Boys & Girls Club of Collier County orientation.
· Agree to adhere to the Volunteer Policies & Procedures Handbook.
· Sign a letter of agreement verifying they understand procedures and what is expected.