Digital Platform: User Experience Tester Volunteer
Objective: IESC is seeking a hands-on volunteer to navigate and interact with IESC’s ENGINE online system, test its usability and accessibility, and provide recommendations to the design team for improvement.
Duration of Assignment: Approximately 6 remote days. The optimal timeline for delivery is 1 March 2017-31 March 2017.
Background: Tanzania has one of the fastest growing economies in the world. With nearly 70 percent of the country’s labor force and a quarter of its GDP tied to agriculture, the US government, through its Feed the Future initiative, recognizes the high potential for stimulating inclusive, broad-based economic growth through support to the sector.
The Tanzania Enabling Growth through Investment and Enterprise (ENGINE) program is a four-year USAID-funded Feed the Future program awarded through the Volunteers for Economic Growth Alliance (VEGA) that aims to streamline and enhance many of the regulatory, informational, and financial channels that encourage domestic and foreign investment in the southern agricultural regions of Mbeya, Morogoro, and Iringa, and in Zanzibar.
ENGINE will focus at the district level, using a broad-based approach that works with district councils, private sector associations, business development service providers, financial institutions, and micro, small, and medium enterprises. The program’s activities are divided into three main components:
- Implement policies for growth. Build the capacity of the private sector to effectively dialogue with the government to set the policy agenda and improve the capacity of the public sector to implement policies.
- Equip businesses for growth. Strengthen small and medium-sized business (SME) capacity and foster the growth and capacity of a sustainable market for business development services (BDS) in Tanzania.
- Access to finance for growth. Broaden access to finance for small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), specifically women and youth entrepreneurs and those working within agricultural value chains, to facilitate increased investment and growth.
Relevance: The ENGINE team is developing a digital platform that establishes market linkage between the small and medium-sized business, business development service providers and financial institutions. The platform consists of a web based system and a mobile application that are interlinked with a database for businesses and business development service providers. The system allows businesses and business development service providers to create profiles, search for each other based on services offered and location, and communicate with each other to indicate an interest in working together.
To assure the user experience quality of the systems in the platform, ENGINE is seeking a User Experience (UX) Volunteer, who can navigate through the systems, test the user friendliness of its functionalities, then provide opinions on the systems and recommend the possible modifications that may improve the systems’ look and feel.
Anticipated Tasks: Upon completion of the assignment, the volunteer will submit a report that shows insight on the user experience of the system and make recommendations on how the system can be improved. IESC will provide a format for the report at the start of the assignment.
IESC is seeking a volunteer with the following qualifications:
- At least 2 years’ experience working in software UX testing. A keen eye for detail and a passion for user-interface design.
- Have analytic problem solving, fault finding, and troubleshooting abilities.
- Ability to work and communicate effectively in cross-cultural settings.
- Patience, flexibility, and an open mind will be highly advantageous.
- UX quality assurance experience.
- University degree in IT or related discipline.
- SQL / MySQL
- Basic Computer Skills
- Database Administration
- IT Consulting
- Security / Network Administration
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- 6 days