51 people are interested
Non-Profit Board Member: help kids with cancer
51 people are interested
Act locally to make the world a better place! Serve on a nonprofit board for a Utah nonprofit serving kids with cancer and similar disorders.
We are seeking individuals willing to make a 4-year commitment to serve on the board of directors of Camp Hobe'. The board of directors meets four times a year to:
- Review the organization’s mission and policies for its operation, ensuring that the provisions of the organization’s charter and bylaws are being followed.
- Review the organization’s overall program from year to year and engage in longer-range planning to establish its general course for the future.
- Review budget and fiscal policy.
- Provide adequate resources for the activities of the organization through direct financial contributions and a commitment to fundraising. Board members are expected to make Camp Hobe' their top nonprofit organization, by making their own personal gift each year, and by participating in activities to generate income for our organization.
- Maintain a communication link to the community by promoting the work of the organization.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Camp Hobe'
PO Box 520755, Salt Lake City, UT 84152, US
Camp Hobe' is a special psychosocial support program for kids being treated for cancer (or similarly-treated disorders) and their families. Our mission is to create an atmosphere that enhances self-esteem, fosters independence and friendship, and creates a sense of belonging.
Kids with cancer (or similarly-treated disorders) and their families may participate in our programs during treatment and for 3 camp seasons after the last therapy. With only 15 campers the first year, the summer camp now serves almost 300 campers each year. The summer camp includes a 2-day program for ages 4-7 years, a 5-day overnight session for ages 7-11 years (Kids Week), and a 5-day overnight session for ages 12-19 years (Teen Week). In addition, we offer 2-4 free family outings each year so that everyone can meet others facing similar challenges and enjoy "time off." We serve the Intermountain area (UT, WY, ID, NV), over 96% of those served are Utah residents.
Camp Hobe' has 9 part-time paid staff (2 year-round, 7 seasonal) and relies heavily on volunteers to keep programs fun and safe. Camp Hobe' is accredited by the American Camp Association, meeting the highest standards for excellence in programming and risk management. Camp Hobe' is also designated as a Children's Oncology Camping Association International Gold Ribbon camp, meeting additional standards for oncology programs.
The live summer camp is held at the Camp Wapiti site in Settlement Canyon, just outside Tooele, built and funded by the Utah Elks. This facility provides for both the medical and recreational needs of campers. The onsite infirmary is staffed by oncology-trained pediatric healthcare providers. We offer our programs to kids at all stages of treatment, from newly-diagnosed to palliative care. During the COVID-19 pandemic, we have pivoted all programs to virtual offerings.
PO Box 520755Salt Lake City, UT 84152
October 13, 2021
- Physician Assistant
- Professional Development
- IT Consulting
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Orientation or Training
- Average of 1 to 3 hours per week
- Able to attend meetings in SLC or by Zoom; have resources available for communicating by email or video call. Nominees with 2-5+ years of experience preferred. Seeking nominees with finance, PR, marketing, or IT experience for 2022 cycle.