HIICAP recruitment begins in the spring of each year. Check back in March 2017 for updates on recruitment.
Healthcare coverage is a complex subject matter and the information often changes from year to year. To make an informed decision, seniors need to understand the options available to them. HIICAP Volunteers provide counseling and respond to questions on Medicare, Medicaid and prescription drugs. Assistance is offered by telephone or through in-person appointments at a counseling site to provide current and impartial information. HIICAP does not endorse or sell any products and counselors do not conduct home visits.
If you are patient, able to grasp a large body of information and can communicate clearly with seniors, become a HIICAP volunteer. You can help alleviate some of the stress associated with understanding health insurance plan options. DFTA provides extensive initial training to HIICAP volunteers and then asks volunteers to keep up-to-date on healthcare benefits through in-service meetings and newsletters.
- Provide counseling and respond to seniors’ questions on Medicare, Medicaid and prescription drugs by telephone or in-person appointments
- Ability to speak languages other than English desired, but not required
- A free 4-day training program provided for qualified applicants
- Receive mentoring by a HIICAP counselor
- Volunteers serve flexible days Monday-Friday, and flexible hours between 9:00am-4:00pm
- On average, volunteers serve 4 hours per week
- One year commitment required
- Ability to comprehend and clearly explain complex health plan information to older adults
- Possess patience and empathy for older adults
- Possess computer skills for on-line research and communication with HIICAP staff
- Ability to maintain confidentiality when dealing with program participants
- Attend a DFTA Volunteer Information Session
- Successfully complete program training
- Pass the NYS HIICAP certification exam
- Administrative Support
- Customer Service
- Basic Computer Skills
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18