We are seeking students, especially those who are College Sophomores, Juniors, Seniors, Graduate Students, or recent Alumni to serve as mentors and volunteer tutors for Upward Bound high school students. We need people like you to share your experiences and valuable first-hand knowledge with students so that they can gain confidence and become more knowledgeable about succeeding in high school and college.
Benefits to High School Students: Upward Bound Mentors are a reliable source for information on: educational requirements for college entry, the application process, getting through the drama of everyday life, life experiences at college and being role models. Mentors also assist students as tutors on their high school course work.
Benefits to Mentors: As an Upward Bound Mentor, you can gain intrinsic satisfaction and perspective by taking a break from your busy life to help students develop their potential by sharing what you've learned from your experiences. Youth mentoring allows you to develop positive, reciprocal relationships with young people. Mentoring also offers a unique opportunity to make sense of your own past experiences and reflect on how those experiences influence your current challenges.
Upward Bound Mentor Requirements:
* Volunteer as a mentor between 4:15pm and 5:30pm at least 6 Mondays over the school year
* Be a role model. Provide students with the information, strategies, and support necessary to develop the knowledge, attitudes, and behaviors required to reach their high school and college goals. Model integrity, work ethic, punctuality, and appropriate dress attire.
* Facilitate a positive relationship with high school students from diverse backgrounds
* Log interactions with students in the Upward Bound contact log
* Pass required background check
Upward Bound attempts to match mentors based on backgrounds and needs. Please let people know of this opportunity as we have many students wanting mentors and the more mentors we have, the better we can do at matching mentors with our students.
- General Education
- Youth Services
- Literacy / Reading
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 19
- Orientation or Training
- 6 Mondays over the school year between 4:15-5:30pm
- see this as a possibility of an ongoing mentor/mentee relationship