*start/end dates flexible
Words Alive VOLUNTEER Intern Job Description
Position Title: Development and Events Intern
General Role: Assist the Words Alive staff, specifically the Development Department, in managing general and event related communication.
Responsibilities: (subject to change with growth of department, deliverables consistent)
- The creation, monitoring and disbursement of social media, e-newsletters, and written promotion to Words Alive volunteers, donors, partners and interested guests
- Strategic advertisement of event fundraising activities to potential guests (e.g. silent auction and raffle)
- Invitation mailings, phone and email follow-up for ticket sales and asks
- Compile media kit working with staff and committee, post to website
- Create (e)mailing to specified businesses for raffle and silent auction donation requests
- Recognition of monetary and in-kind donors through event program, website, social media and formal written acknowledgement
- Timely response to donations and professional address of donors
- Capture donor and guest change of address or information in organization’s donor database
- Track in-kind donations related to raffle and silent auction
- Derive mailings from database updates
- Provide support for database clean up
Website Revival and Maintenance
- Work with staff to create new outline of organization, starting with navigation bar
- Look through and flag outdated material and work with responsible party to obtain info and update
- Update news section with press releases and articles
- Enlighten event guests about Words Alive programs, participants, Board of Directors and donors with a marketplace presentation
- Compose a presentation for the ballroom to lead the scripted sit-down portion of the luncheon and segue to author discussion
- Work with the Executive Director and Event Committee Chair to finalize a script cohesive to ballroom presentation
- Creative display of vendor logos and sale information for the marketplace on signage
- Creative display for silent auction - visual signage for marketplace inclusive of package items
Day-of Event Support
- Work with the audio-visual team to secure marketplace and ballroom presentations - timing, visibility, sound and transitions
- Assist at registration tables with heavy traffic
- Assist in setup of silent auction items and signage
- General staff support as needed
Administrative and Organizational
- General administrative office support as related to the Luncheon
- Assistance in event registration tasks (e.g. guest seating, place cards, information organization)
- Completion of the above projects and tasks contributing to a successful luncheon event and communication strategy with follow up
- Project based internship with strong takeaways for portfolio and continued career development in the development and/or communication field
- Strong computer skills with a focus on data entry, Adobe Suite, Office 2007 applications (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Publisher)
- Effective communicator, verbal and written, as necessary for interaction with staff, board of directors, event guests and public
- Professional, positive, friendly demeanor
- Open to learning in a fast-paced, sometimes unpredictable environment
- Open to receiving advice and constructive criticism
- Ability to work well both independently and as a member of a system with instruction
- A sense of confidentiality and ability to honor it when applicable
- Student pursuing a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, at minimum
- Studying the fields of Communication, PR, Marketing, Non-profit, Event Planning a plus but not required
Commitment: 10-20 hours/week (Monday-Friday, routine schedule preferred). Will work with the intern to accommodate class schedules and for-credit requirements.
Supervisors: Susan Arias (Development Director)
- Project Management
- Donor Management
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 10-20 hours/week
- Volunteer application
- Foster a love of reading amongst...
- Read Aloud and Book Group...
- Foster a love of reading amongst...
- Fundraising & Development...
- Volunteer Readers Needed: K-3rd...
- Development and Events Volunteer...
- Communication Committee Member:...
- Book Drive Volunteer Opportunity!
- Preschool Read-Aloud Volunteers...
- Event Committee Member: Event...
- Book Group with SD Detention...
- Substitute Readers Needed for...