47 people are interested
Building Futures' mission is to build communities with underserved women and children where they are safely and supportively housedd, free from homelessness and domestic violence.
The Children's Program occurs four nights a week and serves the children who live at Building Futures residential sites, ages 3 to about 14. Children’s Program Volunteers work closely with the Children’s Program Coordinator and shelter staff to lead children’s activities (such as arts and crafts, gardening, cooking, reading and drama) while mothers attend support groups.
The Children’s Program gives these vulnerable children a structured, fun, safe time to learn and interact with others. Volunteers play a crucial role, often working one-on-one with children who have special needs. Each night’s program includes a time for the children to check in briefly, an activity, a clean-up time, and a snack (which is sometimes accompanied by the reading of a story).
- Meet and communicate regularly with the Children’s Program Coordinator to share information, give feedback, and receive training and support.
- Record volunteered hours on site volunteer log each visit
Volunteer Requirements and Qualifications:
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Be committed to volunteer once a week for at least three months.
- Sensitivity to children's needs and interests
- Willingness to work with children of all ages and backgrounds
- Ability to interact with both women and children in a warm, genuine, responsible and respectful manner
- Openness and sensitivity to different cultural, class, ethnic and religious groups
- Must submit to a background check and provide the $10 processing fee associated with this screening.
- Must complete and honor a confidentiality agreement protecting client’s identities and locations
We'll work with your schedule.
San Leandro ShelterSan Leandro, CA 94577
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18