Volunteer to read books with a child to help their English fluency! We meet for two hours, twice a week.
We have volunteers ranging from fifth grade to high school, college, and all ages of life. Our program has a number of families that volunteer together, too! It is wonderful to see young volunteers reading and making peer-to-peer connections with our students.
This is an optional program for our students, meaning they attend because they sincerely want to improve. They see their deficiencies in the classroom and have trouble making friends, and are taking a step towards a better academic and social life.
We receive book donations so our students have a variety of children's books to read. One day we will have enough books to send students home with some so they can read at home too!
Our students show real improvement over short periods of time. We even have a couple students that participate in the National Honor Society! Sign up and volunteer to give more students the opportunity to do better in school and in making friends.
Our Program meets:
Tuesdays 6:00 - 8:00pm
Saturdays 10:00am - noon
We have Facebook (SEA Literacy), Twitter and Instagram (@SEALmke)!
- Youth Services
- Literacy / Reading
- Reading / Writing
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
Good Match For
Kids Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Once a week
- We will give you a short orientation
- Branding a Non-Profit Opportunity
- Teach a STEM program to a Child!
- Reading Specialist - Raz Kids...
- Fix or Manage a Website for a...
- Teach Refugee Children to Sing!
- Help Refugee Children Learn to...
- Help Refugees in Milwaukee
- Bookkeeping/Accounting Services
- Teach/Tutor English to...
- Tutor a Child! Grades 1-12
- Read with a Child! Grades 1-12