Location: YWCA’s Shelter at a confidential location in Santa Clara County.
Purpose: Working with Shelter employees, facilitate/co-facilitate activities, including group activities, for children residing at the Shelter that:
* Create a safe/predictable environment in which children can heal from exposure to domestic violence.
* Foster children’s social, educational and emotional growth and model positive interactions.
- Arrive 20-30 min before the activity starts to set up playroom/yard for use.
- Help create a safe and predictable environment by letting the children know the start and end time of activities, where their parent is during the activity, and when it is time to clean up.
- Support children in the completion of their homework and/or provide children with creative activities; may include play, art, movement/music, etc.
- Engage in active and respectful listening, interacting with warmth, compassion, and empathy.
- Ensure all areas used during the activity/group are cleaned at the end.
- Meet for up to 30 minutes at the end of an activity with the Shelter Manager/Shelter Advocates, to report any incident or information disclosed by a child and any observations on the children.
- Work in compliance with all legal requirements, organizational, and departmental policies. Complete all required documentation within requested time frames.
- Maintain Counselor/Victim Privilege of Confidentiality as legally required.
- Mandatory: Immediately report to a supervising employee, the Supervisor, and/or the Director, any known or suspected instance of child abuse/neglect, elder abuse, and dependent adult abuse.
- Experience working with children.
- Ability to work with/support children of different ages and at different developmental stages.
- High level of maturity, empathy, and a nurturing personality.
- Ability to be non-judgmental, open, honest and calm, and maintain professional boundaries.
- Ability to listen actively and respectfully, and respond with warmth, compassion and empathy.
- Ability to work as a member of a team, be open to feedback, and seek input from others.
- Ability to work with/support children from diverse cultural and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Commitment to treating all people with respect and dignity, and appreciating cultural differences.
Training & Other Requirements:
- Completion of the CA State-mandated Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence Counselor 65-hr Training (hosted by the YWCA).
- Completion of additional training /orientation sessions to develop personal comfort level with facilitating/co-facilitating activities/group activities with children.
- Clearance on a background check, including DOJ & FBI fingerprinting.
- Completion of all policies and procedures documentation.
- Submitted documentation that confirms an absence of active Tuberculosis.
- Maintain Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence Counselor Certification by completing 8 hours of Mandatory Continuing Education and Training (MCET) within each 12month period from the date of completion of the Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence Counselor 65hr training.
Time Commitment: Minimum of 100 hours of service (post-training).
Volunteer 2-3 hours or more each week, on a mutually convenient schedule.
YWCA Silicon Valley is an equal opportunity provider and does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender/gender identity/gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, immigration status, socio-economic status, familial/marital status, veteran status, medical status, being differently-able, or any other basis prohibited by law.
- Critical Thinking
- People Skills
- Child Care
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- Ranges from 2-3 hrs/week to 6+ hrs/week