Empowered Women International (EWI) seeks a Marketing & Communications Intern. This is a hands-on opportunity for someone who is a self-starter, willing to learn fast, eager to give back and able to commit and get things done. This is an unpaid internship.
Working under the direct supervision of the Chief Empowerment Officer and in close cooperation with the Director of Operations & Programs and the EWI team the Marketing & Communications Intern will:
1) Write, edit, update content for website, e-newsletter, blog, media and social media
2) Assist in creating weekly communications plan and work on various media projects as assigned
3) Assist in marketing campaigns for the end of year fundraising campaign and the annual marketplace event, as well as other end-of-year events
4) Liaise with contractors and volunteers for the development and dissemination of Success Stories about our entrepreneurs
All intern positions are expected to handle general responsibilities as required including but not limited to a) office/admin (phone, mail, printing marketing materials, ordering supplies, organizing office space, tech troubleshooting, online research) and b) support at events (set up, outreach, assistance). All interns do data entry and create reports in their area to track impact and assist in building out structures and internal procedures.
- Strong prior experience in writing, communications, website and social media
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Highly organized and attention to detail a must
- Ability to learn, adapt quickly, and work in a fast-paced environment, manage time, and balance multiple projects
- Professional attitude and ability to represent EWI in meetings and presentations
- Flexible and adaptable to changing priorities
- Proficiency in computer skills including database, spreadsheet, Internet, social media, website, and office applications
- Understanding of and dedication to EWI's vision and mission
- Interest or experience in working with immigrant, refugee, or low-income community
- Ability to deal with information in a confidential manner and respond with sensitivity to the opinions of others
- Creative, enthusiastic, positive and energetic outlook
- High sense of responsibility, problem solving skills, results oriented, and resourceful
- Ability to take initiative and work both independently and as a team
- Must have a personal computer and be willing to use it for the work assigned
How you benefit
Creativity, innovation, entrepreneurial drive, integrity, respect for all and leadership skills are qualities we highly value at EWI. We work closely with you and empower you to use your own creative capital to excel in your work. We help you discover your talents, strengths and abilities that become the driving force in your project and for future employment and career development.
Interns take on a lot of responsibility, conduct research, work in small creative teams, take initiative and solve problems, and complete their internship with a significant sense of learning, service and accomplishment.
This position also provides:
- Inside experience with a dynamic and fast-growing organization working on micro- enterprise development for women
- Resume-building experience
- Letter of recommendation upon request from the Chief Empowerment Officer of EWI
Hours & Location
Your supervisor will work with you to create a regular work schedule and set up specific goals and projects.
Flexible schedule with a minimum of 24 hours per week (3 days a week), starting mid September until end December. Must be willing to work some evenings and weekend events, as needed. Some telecommuting possible. During the time of internship, extended time off is discouraged.
Our headquarters are conveniently located in Old Town Alexandria, about 6 blocks from the blue and yellow line King Street Metro. Parking also available. Occasional office hours may be at our offices in Rockville, MD or Herndon, VA.How to apply
Put the title "Marketing & Communications Intern" in email subject line. Cover letter should be in the body of the email with resume attached in Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) or Microsoft Word (.doc) format. Send to Mary Louise Marino at email@example.com
All positions at Empowered Women International are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.
- Social Media / Blogging
- Public Relations
- Marketing & Communications (Mar/Com)
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 19
- Orientation or Training
- Minimum of 24 hours per week (3 days/week)