Gilroy Fights Cancer! - American Cancer Society Relay For Life
We are looking for volunteers with leadership qualities, a desire to change the world and a passionate dislike of cancer. We’re looking for long term, hands on, rock star volunteers who want more than a 1 day gig passing out water to runners. Relay For Life is planned, manned and produced by an Event Leadership Team of volunteers from the community where the event is held. We invest in our volunteers through group training and 1-on-1 coaching from an American Cancer Society staff member. As the single largest fundraising event in the world, you get to be part of something pretty spectacular. No experience necessary, however, a go-getter attitude is essential!
YOUTH CHAMPION ROLE:
Youth champions are strong advocates for building youth engagement in Relay For Life within their communities.
Individuals in this role are a voice and outward facing champion for the Relay event within the youth market in their community. They are outgoing and willing to speak and build relationships with schools and youth-based groups about the event with the goal of engaging youth in cancer awareness, education, and fundraising activities to grow Relay For Life participation and income. This can be in the form of new teams, committee members, srvivors, caregivers, or individuals, as well as Relay Recess and Relay Field Day Events.
SPECIFIC TASKS CAN INCLUDE:
- Develop relationships with and serve as the primary contact for decision makers at elementary schools, middle schools, high schools, school districts, sports groups, and other youth organizations
- Recruit youth teams and individuals to participate in the Relay Event
- Assist survivors and caregivers lead with youth survivor and caregiver recruitment
- Work with the logistics lead to ensure risk management measures are in a place to protect youth participants
- Work with the entertainment lead and activities lead to ensure there are games and activities geared toward all ages at the event
- Work with local elementary and middle schools to host Relay Recess or Relay Field Day programs to support the community Relay For Life event
So...at this point you may be wondering...WHAT IS RELAY FOR LIFE?
At Relay For Life events, communities across the globe come together to honor cancer survivors, remember loved ones lost, and fight back against a disease that has already taken too much. This community event is held on a local high school track or park and consists of inspiring ceremonies, activities and fun, and teams of friends, families, and co-workers coming together to finish the fight against cancer! The funds raised truly make a difference in the fight against cancer - just ask one of the nearly 14 million cancer survivors who will celebrate another birthday this year!
Each Relay For Life event is special to its community, but the movement's true power lies in the combined commitment of thousands of participants, volunteers, and supporters to help the American Cancer Society save lives from cancer.
Commitment requires regular check ins with your team lead and/or ACS staff member (in person, over the phone or via email) during Relay Season (September-August.. However we really ramp up in January!) and 2-3 hours a week of additional volunteer efforts. Schedule of work is up to you. For more information on Relay For Life and/or the American Cancer Society, please visit www.relayforlife.org or www.cancer.org
Sound like something you'd be great at?? Perhaps you'd only like a bite-size piece of this role?? Perhaps you & a family member or a friend interested in working on this together?? We would LOVE to chat & truly look forward to working with you to create a world without cancer!!!!
- Event Planning / Management
- Youth Services
- Community Outreach
- Children Medical Services
Good Match For
Kids Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment