Volunteer with Children living in Homeless Shelter
WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
Where990 Nassau St.Cincinnati, OH 45206
Assist with fun, engaging activities for children a variety of ages (1 year-13 years) who are experiencing homelessness.
- Love Kids: We have children of all ages, some who may have experienced trauma. We need patient, loving volunteers to bring a fun energy!
- Flexibility: Working with families in shelter brings a lot of unpredictability when it comes to activity attendance-- there may be 1 kid or 15!
- Strong Leadership Skills: Volunteers should feel comfortable jumping right in and creating a fun environment for the kids.
- Give parents respite by providing fun, engaging childcare during after school hours
- Assist with activities (crafts, board games, free time, literacy building, etc.)
- Read stories to children
- Offer homework help
- Oversee children's safety during activity time/when we have guest visitors (therapy dogs, yoga, music therapy, etc.)
- Help with cleaning of playroom and toys
- Help with clerical tasks, if no children are present for activities
Activity time takes place from 3:30-4:30 p.m. Tuesday-Friday. Volunteers can serve as little or often as they are available.
We would love to put your special skills and background to good use with a custom-tailored volunteer experience. We have had a dance instructor, a trumpet instructor and therapy dogs facilitate special sessions here at the Day Center. Tell us your ideas about putting your talents to work to benefit kids! On days without a special session, we need volunteers to facilitate fun activities with guidance from our IHN staff.
- Child Development
- Youth Services
Good Match For
Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- Activity time is 3:30-4:30 p.m. Tuesday-Friday
- Volunteers can volunteer as often or little as they wish.