Location: Santa Clara Valley Medical Center, 751 South Bascom Avenue, San Jose, CA 95128
Purpose: To provide victims/survivors of sexual assault with accompaniment, support, and advocacy services during Sexual Assault Response Team (SART) examinations.
- Accompany sexual assault survivors through SART medical and forensic examinations at Santa Clara Valley Medical Center. Provide advocacy services at the hospital and with law enforcement.
- Submit all required documentation to YWCA staff within the requested timeframe.
- Engage in respectful and active listening.
- Provide victims with support and information on YWCA/community services and personnel.
- Work in compliance with all legal requirements, organizational, and departmental policies.
- Maintain Confidentiality as legally required under California Evidence Codes.
- Mandatory: Immediately report to a supervising employee, the Supervisor, and/or the Director, any known or suspected instance of child abuse/neglect, elder abuse, and dependent adult abuse.
- Must be 18 years or older.
- Ability to travel to Santa Clara Valley Medical Center within 30 minutes of receiving notification.
- Ability to listen actively and respectfully, and respond with warmth, compassion and empathy.
- Ability to connect and develop rapport with children in unfamiliar/intimidating situations, and provide parents/guardians with information and support, if requested.
- Ability to support individuals from diverse cultural and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Ability to be non-judgmental, open, honest and calm, and maintain professional boundaries.
Training & Other Requirements:
- Completion of the CA State-mandated Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence Counselor 65hr Training (hosted by the YWCA).
- Clearance on a background check, including fingerprinting.
- Submitted documentation that confirms an absence of active Tuberculosis.
- Maintain Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence Counselor Certification by completing 8 hours of Mandatory Continuing Education and Training (MCET) annually.
Time Commitment: Minimum of 100 hours of service (post-training).
Volunteer 4+ hours per week, on a mutually convenient schedule.
YWCA Silicon Valley is an equal opportunity provider and does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender/gender identity/gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, immigration status, socio-economic status, familial/marital status, veteran status, medical status, being differently-able, or any other basis prohibited by law.