Volunteer Dog Teams
43 people are interested
Would you like to make a difference with your dog? Disadvantaged children in New York City need help. Now you and your dog can help them. Become a volunteer team for A Fair Shake for Youth.
A Fair Shake for Youth, Inc. is a non-profit that uses therapy dogs and AKC Canine Good Citizens to help middle-school aged youth in underserved communities build greater empathy and self-esteem, and reduce bullying.
Dedicated volunteers and their dogs are at the heart of our program, power and success. Here's how it works:
- Three volunteer/dog teams each commit to a ten-week program
- Transportation is provided
- Teams work with the same group of 12 kids, becoming a consistent part of their school life
- Kids form a relationship with the volunteers and share the experience of making the dogs successful
- Volunteers experience a profound connection to the students - their struggles and success.
Volunteers must be registered therapy dogs or AKC Canine Good Citizens.If your dog is not already one of these, training is available. We are looking for dogs that love people (especially children), are good with new situations, are resilient and well-mannered.
For more information, please visit our website at www.afairshakeforyouth.org. If you and your dog would like to volunteer with us, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
We'll work with your schedule.
Many Locations around NYCNew York, NY 10025
- General Education
- Child Development
- Youth Services
- Child Welfare
- Animal Therapy
- Animal Care / Handling
- 1 hour a day, 1 day a week, for 10 weeks
- Must have a dog that is an appropriate fit for our program.