SUMMARY OF DUTIES: Center for Community Solutions Legal Department assists victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, and stalking. The Volunteer Attorney is an integral part of the Legal Department team who helps victims escape from abusive relationships, achieve safety by breaking the cycle of violence, and access legal and social justice for themselves and their children. The Volunteer Attorney provides confidential assistance with restraining order filings and consults in a walk-in clinic environment. In addition to restraining orders, the work will touch on domestic violence related family law matters (divorce, paternity, child custody/support, etc).
This is an exciting opportunity to work closely with and learn from CCS Staff Attorneys. Volunteers will gain extensive experience with client interviewing/issue spotting, judicial forms, and restraining order law. In addition, volunteers will receive comprehensive training in domestic violence dynamics and trauma informed services. On-going supervision will be provided by CCS Staff Attorneys and CCS Litigation Manager.
- Basic computer skills required
- California-licensed Attorney (or J.D. awaiting Bar results)
- Family Law / Public Interest experience preferred
- Demonstrated work with the public
- Understanding the dynamics behind interpersonal violence and power and control
- Demonstrated ability to work with those in crisis
- California Emergency Management Agency-approved Domestic Violence/Sexual Assault Crisis Intervention Training offered and recommended
OTHER REQUIREMENTS: Criminal history background check may be required.
- Screen and counsel clients
- Assist with filling out all aspects of restraining order paperwork and related family law matters (divorce, child custody/support, paternity, etc.)
- Provide hearing preparation consultations to pro per clients regarding restraining orders and related family law matters
- Provide safety planning, crisis intervention, and referrals for other vital services, as needed
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 8 hours per week, can be done in two 4 hour shifts
- Business hours availability needed