Austin Travel Scholarship Committee Members will provide oversight for and manage the HI USA travel scholarship program in their local community. Committee members will be collectively tasked with developing their local program with the support of HI USA staff and resources.
Over the next few months the committee will award domestic travel scholarships in the local community. The domestic scholarship will include a $500 travel stipend and 5-10 overnights at our HI USA hostels. We are looking to target less traveled individuals for this scholarship to encourage travel and exploration.
Starting in Jan 2017, we will focus on our international scholarship, which includes awarding $2,000 scholarships for international travel. Travel must include either an educational and/or volunteer component.
- Participate as an active member of the committee, including regular attendance at monthly meetings and assisting with committee responsibilities
- Assist in travel scholarship planning efforts
- Assist in marketing the travel scholarship program in local community
- Participate in the selection of local travel scholarship recipients
- Work with HI USA staff member(s) in implementing the program
- All members have one vote in selecting awardees for scholarships, voting in new committee members, etc.
Desired skills, qualifications:
- Leadership experience
- Connections and familiarity with local community, including local universities, colleges and organizations that serve the 18-30 age range and/or communities that have less access to travel
- Marketing and social media experience
- Program development experience
- We are looking for someone to commit a minimum of one year
- In general, approximately 3-5 hours per month
- We will meet in person once a month at the hostel and then via conference call and email as needed
All applicants will be asked to complete the Become a Volunteer Form and HI USA Online Orientation which can be found here:
You can access the HI USA Online Orientation when you are logged into your account.
- Public Speaking
- Project Management
- People Skills
- Interactive/Social Media/SEO
- Relationship Building
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 3-5 hours per month
- Application and Orientation: https://www.hiusavolunteers.org/HOC__Volunteer_Registration_Page