United Food Bank has a brand new seed library that is already going GANGBUSTERS! We're looking for some energetic, passionate supporters to help grow it to keep pace with demand. The Seed Cataloging and Collection Librarian position is behind the scenes, working independently. Flexible hours Monday through Friday, 8am to 3pm.
Volunteer responsibilities include:
- Entering data from previous week's checkouts and checkins
- Updating inventory
- Pre-packaging seeds
- Harvesting seeds from cuttings taken from our seed garden.
- Assisting with weekly seed selections for checkout
An excellent candidate will be:
- Comfortable working independently; loves sinking themselves into projects.
- Passionate! Do we have to stop you from talking about seeds, gardening, or the benefits of growing food? YES!
- Organized! Able to keep tabs on all pieces of the puzzle, develop and follow processes for job sharing with additional volunteers.
- Available. Has room in regular schedule to volunteer 4+ hours per week, every other week, or monthly, on a fixed schedule, vacations not withstanding.
- Committed. Ready to take ownership in a long-term role - doesn’t need to be forever, but wouldn’t mind hanging out with us for 6 months or more.
- Patient! Working with seeds is sometimes detailed work.
- Has good eyesight, great glasses, and able to work with a magnifying glass as needed.
Optional skills (not required):
- Maricopa county gardening experience, or similar climate. YES!
- Indoor or patio gardener? YES!
- Master Gardener or Master Gardener Intern? YES!
- Student of local gardening classes, agriculture programs, sustainability? YES!
- Has a large volume of orange clothing and accessories for September’s Hunger Awareness Month
- Has a supply of magic beans
- Reads and writes Spanish.
- Knowing your work is enormously valuable to each and every person you seed packets are provided to. YOU - yes YOU! You change lives!
- Our never-ending gratitude.
- Insider knowledge about our inventory and the ability to check out seeds yourself.
- T-shirt (available in March, unless you wear a small or medium, in which case you can have one right away).
- Fabulous prize packages* *not really, we’re a non-profit, but we would if we could.
- Internet Research
- Inventory Management
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- 4+ hours weekly, biweekly or monthly
- Pre-screening, volunteer app, and signed confidentiality agreement are required before placement