Volunteers will be needed to help with therapists and clients in need of recreational activities.
DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES AND PROCEDURES:
- Visit clients around the hospital
- Transport clients to and from activities
- Help Therapeutic Recreation staff brainstorm activities for clients
- Assist clients with activities such as bingo, gardening, card games, crafts, parties, games, etc.
- Read magazines or books to clients
- Deliver reading materials, games, etc. to clients who have difficulty coming to the recreation room
EDUCATION, TRAINING OR EXPERIENCE:
Must be familiar with the location of the units in the hospital. Must complete Cardinal Hill Hospital orientation that is volunteer specific. Must complete the Therapeutic Recreation training and orientation. Be dependable, have a positive attitude when volunteering and respect the patient's rights. Must maintain patient confidentiality.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
1. Excellent interpersonal skills. Good communication and listening skills with children and adults.
2. Must be willing to accept change and be sensitive to needs of client/families in stressful situations. 3. Ability to communicate directions in a simple manner and work as a team member.
4. Adequate conversational English to understand and take direction, as well as understand safety guidelines, the employee handbook, and hospital policies.
5. Ability to perform moderately manipulative skills, ability to sit, reach, crouch, bend, and stand for prolonged periods.Age Specific Competencies
Must be at least 14 years of age. Provides patient services based on identified needs/developmental level for all patient populations; incorporation of age-specific characteristics in patient education, communication and planning; provision of individualized care relevant to patient needs; and recognition, monitoring and provision of interventions as appropriate.
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training