Purpose of Position:
CLUES is looking for committed adults who are passionate about helping the next generation of Latino students to become leaders in their community and achieve educational and vocational success. Coaches, who are professionals in their field, will provide ongoing, individualized support to the youth in the program. Coach-student relationships are fostered through one-on-one bi-weekly communication, monthly meetings to review the student’s progress towards goals, and whole-group gatherings and activities organized by CLUES staff.
- Minimum time commitment: 1 school year (September-August)
- Monthly institutes are held from September - May, on the second Saturday of each month for the St. Paul site and the third Saturday of each month for the Minneapolis site, from 1:00 - 5:00 pm.
- Bi-Weekly communication (via additional meetings, phone, email, text, Facebook, etc.) with the student are also required.
- Attend monthly Institutes with coaches and students
- Assist and advise mentee in the process of applying for college / determining career path
- Individually support the student in developing and meeting goals through questioning, providing guidance and feedback, sharing own knowledge, and connecting the student to opportunities for growth and experience
- Provide encouragement
- Communicate on a bi-weekly basis with student and monthly with program coordinator
- Adhere to policies outlined in the YA! Coaches Agreement.
CLUES reserves the right to terminate an internship or volunteer commitment if behavior is not in compliance with CLUES policies.
- Ability to relate to and interact with a Latino high school student, encouraging and guiding him/her through both academic and personal experiences.
- Understanding of the Latino culture is preferred but not required.
- Be responsible, punctual, encouraging, flexible and friendly when working with your students, their families, and CLUES staff.
- Be open and respectful to diverse life experiences, values and backgrounds.
- Familiarity with job and college application procedures.
Requirements & Training:
- A Coach training will be held prior to interacting with the students, and again mid-way through the year.
A criminal background check and/or driving record check may be required. CLUES reserves the right to conduct background checks.
- People Skills
- Youth Services
- Career Counseling / Coaching
- Relationship Building
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 22
- Orientation or Training
- Monthly Institutes and bi-weekly communication