This volunteer opportunity is for a Peer Supporter of Burn Patients and Survivors. We are looking for burn survivors, 18 years of age or older, with a willingness to give back and help support other burn survivors in their recovery. Must go through training and meet Mercy Hospital requirements for Volunteers.
We ask that this wonderful volunteer also attend the monthly Support Group meetings and/or other BRSG events, like the incredible Midwest Children’s Burn Camp. This volunteer must be post-injury for at least 1 year.
Purpose and Objectives of the Peer Support Program:
- To provide burn patients with compassion and active listening.
- To provide one’s own story of survival; as appropriate, in order to help with the adjustment and coping of the burn injury.
- To support and inspire patients to make the most of their recovery.
- To provide accurate and supportive knowledge about burns, procedures, treatments, etc.
- Refer patient or family to the appropriate professional, when the situation is warranted.
- Patient Care
- People Skills
- Crisis Counseling
- Case Work / Management
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- flexible, 2-3 hours per week preferred
- Become a volunteer through Mercy Hospital too