This volunteer opportunity is for a Peer Supporter of Burn Patients and Survivors. We are looking for burn survivors, 18 years of age or older, with a willingness to give back and help support other burn survivors in their recovery.
We asked that this wonderful volunteer also attend the monthly Support Group meetings and/or other BRSG events, like the incredibleMissouri Children’s Burn Camp. This volunteer must be post-injury for at least 1 year.
Purpose and Objectives of the Peer Support Program:
- To provide burn patients with compassion and active listening.
- To provide one’s own story of survival; as appropriate, in order to help with the adjustment and coping of the burn injury.
- To support and inspire patients to make the most of their recovery.
- To provide accurate and supportive knowledge about burns, procedures, treatments, etc.
- Refer patient or family to the appropriate professional, when the situation is warranted.
- Patient Care
- People Skills
- Crisis Counseling
- Case Work / Management
Good Match For
Kids Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- flexible, 2-3 hours per week preferred
- Become a volunteer through Mercy Hospital too