Description of This Service:
The assigned mentor or couple spends time in recreational or learning activities with a mentee. The Volunteer helps the child adjust to the separation or loss of a parent, enhance self-esteem and build confidence, and learn new skills. Matches are based on compatibility, are reviewed annually and can continue for as long as both are interested until the youth is eighteen. On-going support is provided by the Social Worker.
- The Volunteer meets with the child at least two or three times per month or as otherwise agreed upon in advance with the Volunteer Coordinator and Social Worker.
- Observe agency rules of confidentiality; report any concerns regarding possible abuse/neglect to the Volunteer Coordinator.
- Report progress monthly to the Volunteer Coordinator and Social Worker on the forms and postage-paid envelopes provided or by email.
Volunteer Activities Might Include:
- Providing consistency and stability, social enrichment: visits or tours to points of interest, sporting events, fishing, exploring nature and environment, bike riding, library, museums, and in general, broadening the child's range of interests and knowledge. Activities around volunteer’s home are encouraged as well.
- Teaching life skills: hobbies, building things, courtesy and manners, grooming, hygiene, etc.
- Assisting/encouraging/acknowledging the child’s performance in school - help with homework
- Involving and encouraging the child in school extracurricular activities or sports
- Be at least age 18.
- Pass a criminal background check.
- Be reliable & consistent.
- Matches usually get together two or more times per month for a couple of hours or more. (Except for vacations, illness, family/work obligations etc.)
- Volunteers are reimbursed for their mileage at the current rate, if they use their personal vehicle.
- To receive reimbursements the volunteer must fill out and return the appropriate form/s to the Volunteer Coordinator.
- The volunteer is not to accept pay or gifts for their services from the client or their representatives.
- Child Development
- People Skills
- Youth Services
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Orientation or Training
- Varies - Flexible