Head Start Classroom Volunteer
WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
WhereVariesMain Office: 450 North SyndicateSaint Paul, MN 55104
Community Action Partnership of Ramsey & Washington Counties partners with people to reduce the causes of poverty and its impact on people’s lives. Community Action serves participants enrolled in various program, educate individuals and the public about the causes of poverty, and transform systems to eliminate barriers so that everyone in our community has a chance to achieve their potential.
Title: Head Start Classroom Volunteer
Purpose: Community Action Head Start is committed to providing low-income families in our community with high-quality education for children ages 3-5. Work with our Head Start teachers and staff in the classroom to make learning and attending school a fun and rewarding activity for children.
Our Philosophy within Community Action Head Start Classrooms:
- We believe children learn best through their experiences
- We believe children and adults achieve the most when they are respected and trusted
- We believe children feel supported when others understand the importance of their family and culture
- We believe children are healthiest when their families and environments are healthy
- We believe children learn through play
- We believe children learn best when the program values family members and caregivers
- We believe children do best when their own way of learning is supported
Supervisor: Head Start Center Education Coordinator
Tasks and Responsibilities: Work with classroom teachers to support student activities and fulfill the Head Start classroom philosophy. This may include reading stories, assisting children in projects, chaperoning field trips, teaching basic hygiene skills such as tooth brushing hand washing, and eating family style with children.
- Ability to speak English, Somali, Karen, Hmong, Spanish, language skills a plus
- Ability to work as a member of a team
- Show interest in and enjoy working with young children
- Able to physically respond to the demands of active 3-5 year old children
- Be capable of lifting 50 lbs.
- Can complete and pass a criminal background check
Benefits of Volunteering in Head Start: Perhaps the first and biggest benefit we get from volunteering is the satisfaction of incorporating service into our lives and making a difference in our community. The intangible benefits alone-such as pride, satisfaction, and accomplishment-are worthwhile reasons to serve.
- Ability to complete practicum for Child Development courses
- Support from a mentor teacher
- Learn about child development, guidance, health and safety, professional relations, and strategies for promoting learning in young children.
- Professional networking within the child development field
All volunteers must be able to commit to a minimum of 4 weeks. Morning and afternoon shifts are available for volunteers Monday through Thursday between the hours of 8:00 am to 4:30 pm. Specific hours can be arranged with the Center Education Coordinator.
Community Action is proud to have multiple Head Start locations serving the families of Ramsey County. The Volunteer Coordinator will work with you to find the location that best fits your needs and the needs of our organization.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please contact:
Volunteer & Community Linkages Coordinator
Or complete the Volunteer application: http://www.caprw.org/volunteer/
- General Education
- Child Development
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- Volunteers must commit to a minimum of 40 hours