BECOME A COLLEGE ACCESS MENTOR at MANNY CANTOR CENTER!
Empower a young person to make the best college choice and achieve life goals by becoming a College Access Mentor!
WHAT IS OUR COLLEGE ACCESS PROGRAM?
This program focuses and motivates students towards achieving their learning goals, whether that be a four year college or university or a vocational or technical school. With a combination of age appropriate and appealing college access activities, and consistent encouragement, youth have the tools and resources they need to succeed personally and academically. Mentors are a key component in encouraging students, and helping them to create a plan and pathway for education.
WHAT IS YOUR COMMITMENT AS A MENTOR?
- Work one-on-one with a student as they navigate the college application process
- Help your mentee with creating their college list, writing their personal statement, and researching and reviewing scholarship options
- Serve as a role model, providing guidance and support
- Commit to attending each weekly mentor session from 6-8PM on Tuesdays, beginning September 25th and ending April 30th. There will also be a mandatory orientation on Monday, September 17th.
- There will also be formal opportunities in the spring to stay connected with your mentee through college readiness and career awareness activities.
HOW TO GET STARTED!
- Fill out our volunteer application by visiting: http://cerv.is/m?0038gU3a60F
- Share you availability for a phone call screening in the additional details section of the application
- Prospective mentors will need to attend an in-person group interview to be considered
- To ensure the safety and security of all program participants you will be required to submit to a background check
APPLY TO BE A MENTOR IF...
- You have experience and/or interest working with college bound students
- You are passionate about building a strong working relationship with youth.
- You want the opportunity to be a positive and consistent role model and make a difference in the life of a young person
- You are available to commit to every Tuesday from 6-8PM
WE NEED YOUR HANDS. WE NEED YOUR HEARTS. GET INVOLVED BY VOLUNTEERING!
- Teaching / Instruction
- Reading / Writing
- Financial Literacy
- Relationship Building
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 6:00-8:00pm every Tuesday
- experience with college application process