Anjellicle Cats Rescue, Inc. is seeking a volunteer Medical Coordinator. This person is the main point of contact for all of our fosters and recent adopters when the cats in their care have medical issues or need to schedule routine veterinary care. This position is handled primarily through email correspondence with some limited phone communication. The ideal candidate would be local to NYC, but this is flexible for the right person.
- Answer emails. This is the biggest part of the job. The medical coordinator responds to questions about vaccinations, records, illnesses, vet appointments, spay and neuter, etc.
- Update PetPoint (our online records system) with any vet visits, spay/neuter, etc. There are also a handful of Google Docs and online document storage ( Box.com) used for this position.
- Call vets during business hours to approve appointments, request records, etc. Generally about 10 minutes per day are spent on the phone, sometimes more if other things are needed.
Basic Requirements and Time Commitment:
- The volunteer should have the ability to check the account every few hours and respond to any urgent emails. Many emails can be answered on a mobile phone if desired.
- Reliable access to a computer -- at least two hours per day to look up information or update online records. We prefer someone who readily has computer access throughout the day, but it is possible to do computer work in one session per day if other emails are answered as they come in.
- Proficiency with email is a MUST. This position involves a high volume of email. The medical coordinator must be comfortable with spelling, grammar and standards of professional correspondence.
- Time and ability to call vet offices during regular business hours.
- Familiar with Google Docs is a plus, but this can be trained.
- Experience working with a cat rescue or animal shelter is a plus.
- Experience with cat care and illness, including kittens and their medical needs. (Specific medical knowledge can be learned on the job. There will be other staff members who can help.)
- Diplomatic multi-tasker who will remain calm and professional in difficult situations.
- Comfortable with customer service.
Our medical coordinator is a key member of our all-volunteer staff. This is a great opportunity to get involved with one of the most active cat rescues in NYC as we are about to celebrate our 10-year anniversary. The medical coordinator will attend bi-monthly core staff meetings and will have the opportunity to contribute to many aspects of the workings of our nonprofit organization. Your work will also have a direct impact on the lives of hundreds of rescued cats in foster and adoptive homes.
To apply or inquire about this position, email email@example.com. We would like to fill this position by August 15, but we will continue to review applications after that date.
- Customer Service
- Problem Solving
- Animal Care / Handling
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training
- 10+ hours per week.